Home Store Blog

Add Applications Launcher to Plank

plank

Hi, I am looking for a way to add an applications menu to Plank. Is this possible in Budgie? I have tried it with the Classicmenu-Indicator from Ubuntu, but I can’t find a way to access the preferences.

Think this might be available if you use docky instead of plank - worth investigating I would suggest

sudo apt install docky

Will try. Many thanks for the suggestion.

There is an applications menu available in plank.
Hold down and right click anywhere on the dock
Select “Preferences->Docklets” and pull the Applications icon on to the dock.

Should have said
Hold down Control and right click anywhere on the dock
Select “Preferences->Docklets” and pull the Applications icon on to the dock.

interesting … I don’t have such an icon listed in my Docklets - just Clippy, Clock, CPU Monitor, Desktop and Trash

That’s odd. If you hold down the key and right click on one of the plank icons, do you get a small menu which includes Preferences?

yes - and via the menu - Plank Preferences

OK finally identified the problem. You need to add a PPA. Just open a terminal and enter:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ricotz/docky.
sudo apt upgrade

If you are adding that PPA, then you are using Docky, not Plank. The two are separately developed projects. I believe, and someone can correct me, that Plank is an offshoot from Docky.

When I used Docky, about a year or so ago, it had a huge memory leak. A forum post on the topic recommended that I switch to Plank and after doing so, never had an issue. Unfortunately though for the OP’s purpose, Plank does not include an application menu icon, which is kind of odd.

The PPA is for Docky and Plank. I would draw your attention to the Package For Bionic Beaver, which is labelled “plank - 0.11.4+git20180707.0a842b45-0ubuntu1~18.04~ricotz1”

The packages modified are
libplank-common Library to build an elegant, simple, clean dock (shared files)
libplank-dev Library to build an elegant, simple, clean dock (development files)
libplank-doc Library to build an elegant, simple, clean dock (documentation)
libplank1 Library to build an elegant, simple, clean dock
libplank1-dbgsym debug symbols for libplank1
plank Elegant, simple, clean dock
plank-dbgsym debug symbols for plank

So its 'definitely an update For Plank

With the PPA installed, to confirm that what I am running is Plank (not Docky), I held down Control and right clicked on the dock and selected “About”. The icon showed :
“plank
0.11.4.24-0a84
Development
Plank. Stupidly simple.”

This version of plank includes an option to add an Applications Docklet.

So I hope this clears up any confusion.

« Plank » is a part of the Docky project.