Encountered an issue with the National ID-card software (libldap version exceeds expected :D). Advice?

Estonian national smart card ID software had an Ubuntu install script. It is for Hirsute Hippo though. The script stumbles on the following error message.

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 qdigidoc4 : Depends: libldap-2.4-2 (>= 2.4.7) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I am using 21.10 release and In the repositories we have libldap-2.5-0.

Since I have been using Manjaro since March, decided for 21.10. Thinking now, maybe I should have opted for LTS, thought I have greatly enjoyed the window shuffler and other features of Budgie Desktop.

I Have contacted their tech support. They replied basically with instructions how to uninstall their software and how to install again. The uninstall script notified that it had nothing to remove :smiley:

dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove opensc which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove opensc-pkcs11 which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove awp which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove chrome-token-signing which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove chrome-token-signing-policy which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove firefox-pkcs11-loader which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove token-signing-native which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove token-signing-chrome which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove token-signing-firefox which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove libdigidoc-common which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove libdigidoc-tools which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove libdigidoc2 which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove libdigidocpp-common which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove libdigidocpp-tools which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove libdigidocpp1 which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove qdigidoc4 which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove qdigidoc which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove qesteidutil which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove qdigidoc-tera which isn't installed
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove open-eid which isn't installed
Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).
OK
Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).
OK

Do you have any ideas? They seem to update installation to the April releases.
Best regards

The software will need to be recompiled to pick up the new dependencies. Whether the software will need to be modified to cope with the changes in the new libldap I don’t know.

If the software is opensource you could try to recompile the software yourself.

With 22.04 just around the corner (April) maybe the software is going to be updated anyway very shortly?

1 Like

To the last question. Yes.

Found their github

I could concieve a work around through a VM for now, it seems though an utterly complicated workaround. Need to sign something soon (paradoxically, didn’t need to sign in half a year, everything else is handled with Smart-ID app, so outside of my laptop).

good good. The repo has full instructions how to recompile - so worth trying - and feeding back what you find via an issue on that github repo.

1 Like

Do you need a github account for that. Have actually never used github. Just looked at things.

So I need to “fetch from source”, right? :smiley: Slacked off on the build tutorial when was refreshing my memory on how to use CLI - basics. (UNIX / Linux Tutorial for Beginners) :slight_smile:

Just adding as a recommendation or something to recommend :smiley: - I’ll try to compile :smiley:

no - just need to install the package “git” to allow you to “git clone” the software.

lol - maybe that needs to be added to the github repo README !

I would have figured it out when I’d have got the error, if not any way else. :smiley:

Oh. I meant for giving feeback - do I need the github account? :smiley:

Btw, git is already installed on 21.10.

Thank you for encouragement. Got it compiled successfully. Needed to compile also one dependency before I could get to compiling that.

One additional question. How can I get it to show up in the application list?

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Logging out and in got the application in the application list.