Old Dell drivers

I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 half a dozen years old or so. I put a new Sceptre C248B-144RN monitor on it that uses DP input. I’m running Budgie 20.04.

The 1920 x 1080 resolution for the monitor is not always properly recognized when the machine is woken up from being idle and it reverts to 768 x 480 instead of 1920 x 1080. The quickstart/troubleshooting pamphlet included with the monitor describes this as a driver problem. The only suggested fix is to reboot. Rebooting works and so does logging off and back usually work. This, of course, is a nuisance.

Dell has Ubuntu drivers but the newest is from 2015 for Ubuntu 11.10. I’d consider trying this driver but first I’d like to see if anyone as advice about whether it will cause problems. I can see where it might go either way.

Thanks for thinking about it.

No. Those drivers will never work on a modern X system.

Some ideas here that you could try https://askubuntu.com/questions/1126405/ubuntu-18-04-screen-lock-loses-highest-resolution-each-time

I would also check what happens if you use vga instead of display-port.

Thanks, fossfreedom.

The monitor lacks VGA inputs. I could have picked one with VGA/DP inputs but I went with DP/HDMI instead. I may need to swap out the monitor I suppose.

The solution you pointed to is interesting and I might be inclined to try it but it also indicates that problems remain after all the suggestions and says that the only sure fix is a different monitor. Or so I read it to say.