Dim brightness ⋅ 20.04

Hi,

trying the applet for controlling bright and hue of the screen.

I noticed two issues.

One minor, aesthetic
Peek 11-01-2021 15-21
width of the background changes - probably because of value size ( 100.0 is wider than 90.1 )
Sorry Peek does not let me capture the top panel…

Second is maybe annoying, it seems dim is not applied right at start of the session even if already set, one has to click on the applet icon first and then it’s applied. Maybe intended ?

Intel integrated graphics i915 here, no exotic driver.

Raised Dim brightness controller not applied at first login · Issue #374 · UbuntuBudgie/budgie-extras · GitHub

and

Neither look particularly difficult - anyone with a tiny bit of python knowledge can help here.

I uploaded the right .gif file for #373 you may delete your png.

@samlane has made some tweaks

To test on all supported Ubuntu Budgie versions:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily
 sudo apt upgrade

logout and login

Once finished testing:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily

The spacing / size « issue » is fixed.

Dim is not applied with session start BUT as I finally mentioned in the bug :
⋅ one might like that behavior : at start, it’s default normal value, and dim is applied when clicking on applet
⋅ here I use that applet not on a laptop but on a regular desktop pc with only external screen.

Aside : is it safe to keep that ppa enabled ? I love the update for drop-by :wink:

Thank you @samlane and @fossfreedom and all involved !

It does look like it is supposed to set the level when the applet it loaded. It wasn’t doing this properly. To make it successfully do this on my machines, I had to add the Timeout @fossfreedom suggested. In theory, now it should set the level to the saved settings roughly 5 seconds or so after the applet starts. I have two laptops and a desktop that it seems to work on. Odd that it is not working for you, maybe it needs a longer Timeout? I’ll take another look, its just harder when I can’t reproduce the behaviour.

Wait, I was not aware of the timeout !

And indeed it works as you intend, sorry for confusion !

The ppa will always be available so it won’t disappear on you. Just remember that code and translations are immediately available as checked into git. So no testing other than the developers who made the change. Features can be seen and removed as well.

So if you dont mind a breakage or two and thus helping us test things then great, keep on using it.