Proposal for a new menu applet for the desktop

I got this after some usage on 19.10:

This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 1014104 error_code 3 request_code 40 (core protocol) minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
[1]    18039 trace trap (core dumped)  budgie-panel --replace

Reran budgie-panel seems to work fine as of now.
EDIT: Happened AGAIN, but have not experienced this after a reboot

Well so…
I realized the spacing between your applet and the icon task list applet is less than the one between budgie menu and icon task list; I added a seperator to fix it, but the seperator has a line I don’t want :stuck_out_tongue:
EDIT: got it to work with spacer applet, hurray!

Folks - I’ve added a workaround menu sizing capability - you can now size the grid via the applet budgie desktop settings.

Just update as normal - logout and login afterwards to get the update.

1 Like

Whoa, nice! Works like a charm!
All we need now is transparency :stuck_out_tongue:

umm - no - this is a budgie popover - it will look very weird since it will be out of place with other popovers.

Cool … great work.

One things I feel could be better is the tree view option.

I have adjusted the grid-view to 5 x 9, and when you go back to the tree-view, it stays that size and feels too big.

Maybe the tree-view window could automatically resize to the longest item in the list, plus some padding.

What’s also cool in the “old” menu, is the option to put a name to the menu and have a button at the top that list All applications.

not sure that I understand that.

In the Budgie Menu, you have the categories : Accessories, Graphics, Office …

At the very top is an item that says : All …

And while clarifying … do you thinks it’s a good idea to have a spacing option in the grid, so that one can adjust the distance between the icons?

Hey @codic, this can probably be done via a Gtk-3 theme …

“All” … ah - that’s really in the realms of upstream changes - request will be needed there. I suspect they will say thats what the grid view is for.

As to the spacing option - think this will have to wait for upstream - there are a couple of pull requests that need to be landed before we can see how this affects stuff.

not really following what you are saying here.

In this picture I’ve added a 5 pixel border for the contents

transparency, I believe it would require the applet to support it!
Also @fossfreedom is a filesearch and Software Center search doable? Or even searching everything, like GNOME Activites does with Tracker?

The button you have highlighted, Menu Editor, has an huge empty space to the right. The space becomes bigger when you increase the number of columns in the grid.

Menu Editor --------------empty space --------------------------------- border

The longest string I can see is from the button Catfish File Search.

Maybe the window width could automatically adjust to the width of the Catfish File Search button, with only little space to the right …

What do you think?

This is surely configurable with the row size, why not use that?
This could be optional if implemented?

filesearch was discussed upstream - they don’t like it since getting the same results compared to - say - nautilus - is difficult.

Software Center - yes - its possible if a plugin is written - the search engine is synapse - so it needs to be written in that style. See the source code src/synapse-plugins folder for examples.

I’ve never used GNOME Activities - but again - if an API is exposed then yes a plugin could be written.

Both of the above I’ll leave for someone who is interested to-do this - if its good enough I’ll add it to the applet.

Ah, alright. Afraid I can’t be of much help there then :frowning:

I’m better with pictures - you’ll need to mock up something visually before I can understand what you are trying to convey.

found another hidden gem … type “ubuntubudgie.org” (or any internet address) and it will open in your default browser.

Here is a picture …

Do you agree there could be less space to the right, like the picture at the top? Like an automatic resize when you switch from the grid to tree-view …

a

Yes I see what you mean. This might be useful, but as I said before it really, really should be optional. Whether enabled by default or not, not my call. XFCE has this feature though, and I would like to say in most cases it works great! However sometimes i used to end up having an oversized menu because of one app with a run-on name.
@fossfreedom on that note, do you know any good mockup apps?