Quirks with panel applets

Sure, that works just fine.

My suggestion was to add the temperature option to display next to the current condition symbolic link in the panel itself. Then you wouldn’t necessarily need the Budgie Weather applet, and would do the same at a lesser level of information.

As for the time formats, the forcast popup includes forcast times in the hover pop-up.

Sorry I must have not got my brain switched on at the moment. I don’t understand both of your thoughts.

For the panel the cloud icon is just to show the applet. What are you expecting the icon to be?

For the popup forecast times I don’t understand your train of thought. Can you draw a picture of what you are trying to say?

1 Like

For the slow city thing what is the specification of your computer in terms of processor type and memory?

The panel cloud icon - tells me it’s always cloudy at my location, it’s static. When you hover or click on that cloud icon in the panel, it displays “x” amount of days worth of forecast. There are times of the day located in that pop-up, which only display in the EU time format.

As indicated, this problem is solved on the user end. The city.txt file was not included in the applet install. After copying that file (linked above by another member) to the applet ~.config file, it’s works just fine.

Yes, I’m sorry.

I think the confusion may be that I’m referencing the Weather and Forecast applet, not the Weather applet. I mistakingly thought that the OP was referencing the Weather and Forecast applet.

The Weather applet is great, simple and very nice.

The Weather and Forecast applet is the one which I suggested the possibility of time format changing and adding a dynamic panel icon and ability to add temperature. Or, just adding the forecast to the Weather applet.

It may be easier to provide one applet, with a more elastic configuration possibility.

GM

I need to make sure, the suggestion is on the Desktop Weather? (WeatherShow?)

Well, it’s the Weather and Forecast applet. If that uses the .config folder WeatherShow, then that’s it.

I have both the Weather applet and the Weather and Forecast applet installed. I believe that the WeatherShow .config folder is for the Weather and Forecast applet.

The Weather and Forecast applet is the applet which gives a static cloud panel icon, hover forecast and desktop display of the weather. This is the applet that suggestions may consider to allow changing of the forecast time format and possibly having a current condition and temperature reading directly in the panel icon. Maybe the ability to turn off the actual desktop display.

So, I guess it another way to look at it…would be to simply add a forecast pop-up to the Weather applet.

These are just a few suggestions for future development. Otherwise, the plain Weather applet in the panel is very nice for basic data without forecasting.

Not sure if the WeatherShow Applet is your applet then. Far most of its code is dedicated to show the weather on the desktop. I am also hesitating to the suggestion on am/pm, since the forecast is meant to overview in a glance. That implies a linear indication on the corresponding time, not figuring out if the mentioned time is am/pm.
Improving the search speed is very relevant of course.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, different strokes for different folks. And if you’re looking for a desktop applet, it’s very nice.

But you still have to address the forecast time format, because you’re coding reaches around the globe, not just UTC. That’s clearly defined by base users in Ubuntu’s recent analytics.

If I’m located in Ubuntu’s hot zone on the heat map, UTC isn’t helpful to me after high noon. Very similar to sundry, rubbish bin, favourites and a tenth spot in the temperature display.

At a miminum, I may not use the extension. If I see a pattern develop, I’ll just use another distro.

Enjoying UB and an happy to use the basic Weather extension.

Thanks for the informational discussion.

GM

If I were to attempt to edit the cities.txt file to add something more relevant to me, to what does the number under “id” correspond?

You can’t edit the cities file. Well, you can, but it is of no use; the file is a downloaded version of the database of open weathermap. Any addition won’t have a reference to the database.
The id is the databas’ numeric code for the city.

Interesting, since they have my little town on their site, but it’s not in the cities.txt file.

Yeah, they do not fully synchronize stuff, same with weather forecast which is sometimes out of sync with the downloaded json data. I guess they update periodically.

I was able to add my town to the file based on the information from the site, and it worked. It just took a little effort to find the right one as there are other towns by that name in the US.

I would echo a previous comment that the forecast needs to be worked on, though, so that the time displayed is relative to the location. For instance, it’s showing the forecast for what should be 0900 (in 45 minutes) as being at 1500, which is GMT.

That surprises me, but that is unfortunately not something we can fix. Open weather normally produces the forecast in your local time, as it does here as far as I can see. I’ll ask around if anyone else has the same issue.

That is strange. When I go to the site, the immediate forecast shows my local time. The applet, for some reason, translates that to GMT. I wonder if it might have something to do with London, GB being the default location, somehow tied into the fact that I was unable to create the cities.txt file, such that the time displayed (only in this applet, mind you) is GMT.

It’s not that it’s wrong, per se. 1500GMT is 0900MDT, so the corresponding forecast is the same in the applet as on the site.

FINALLY, I found out what you mean (my bad) and finally, I know what the issue is. Fixed the city-find issue today, turns out OWM recently abandoned the .txt version of the file, which the search engine of the applet was based on.
Also Found out that iin the applet, for the snapshots t = snapshot["dt_txt"] is used, which indeed, like you mentioned, is referring to list.dt_txt Data/time of calculation, UTC - will be fixed soon. Thanks a lot for taking the time to insist on these major issues.

2 Likes

Agree with the sentiment here it would be nice to roll all the weather applets (panel and desktop/forecast) into one applet.

I have a hard time being understood by people who speak English as a first language. I’m assuming, given the Zwolle, NL above, that it wasn’t your first. Nevertheless, your English is better than many native-speakers. :grinning: