Quirks with panel applets

As I replied in another post, I looked to see if anyone else posted about this, but didn’t find anything.

First, on two machines, in the list of applets on the top panel in the settings, the last is the Raven Sidebar Control, the penultimate is the User Indicator. What is actually displayed is reversed on both machines until I start moving things around, Raven is penultimate and User is last.

Second, and likely related, when I start moving things around, where they are on the list is not where they actually are on the panel. For instance, I’ll have various applets, a separator, an applet, a separator, User Indicator, Raven, but the two separators will be displayed side-by-side on the panel. They’ll eventually correct (and things go in the correct position) as I move items up then down the list, one after the other, away from and then back into the desired positions.

Third, I’m using the Calendar applet instead of Clock. I have a custom display set. Whenever I restart the computer, I have to rebuild the custom display (which, fortunately, is only adding “:%S” to display seconds); that setting isn’t saved for some reason.

Finally, I have “Show city name” turned off in the Weather applet, yet, when I restart the computer (or log off and back on again), the city name is displayed. The setting is still off, so I have to turn it on and back off again so that the city name isn’t displayed.

Thanks!

its a known quirk of budgie-desktop where the panel settings applets dont reflect the order you see. Currently the only known workaround is to reset the panel - then make your changes again.

nohup budgie-panel --reset --replace &

Calendar - press the Enter key on the custom format field.

For the standard weather applet please raise an issue on the dev issue tracker - https://github.com/ilgarmehmetali/budgie-weather-applet

You could always use our new weathershow applet that should now be available to install in budgie-welcome v0.6.6 (ubuntu budgie 18.04)

“nohup”: ugh…okay.

“Calendar”: thank you, that worked!

“Weather”: I’ll do that, thank you.

“Weathershow”: It looks amazing, and much better than the standard applet, but I cannot get it to change cities. Granted, I live in a small town outside of Denver, Colorado, but I couldn’t even get it to change to Denver.

Silly question, but you’re sure you connection is ok? I got four Denvers. The citielist is to be downloaded on first run. Only thing worth trying is to remove the file /.config/budgie-extras/weathershow/cities.txt Maybe connection was interrupted during download, and the file is incomplete.

afbeelding

I suppose that’s possible. I’ll have to look at that again tomorrow as that computer is at the office (which, admittedly, has a slower internet connection).

The cities.txt file doesn’t even exist. For some reason, I can’t get it to create one, either.

Remove the applet from the panel.

Then in a terminal restart the panel via:

nohup budgie-panel --replace &

Then add the weathershow applet back into the panel. Any warnings or error messages displayed in the terminal?

No joy.

@thesios I think you need to run without the nohup to see the feedback from what is happening in the panel: budgie-panel --replace &, then leave the terminal open and add the applet.

Well, in a twist of quirkiness, now the Budgie Weather applet will not show anything other than the weather at Accra, Ghana, even if I set it to something else.

Trying the command now.

** Message: 09:42:33.612: libsession.vala:50: DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID not set, session registration may be broken (not running budgie-desktop?)

** (budgie-panel:6917): WARNING **: 09:42:33.886: BudgieMenuWindow.vala:298: Software has no parent directory, not adding to menu

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-weathershow/weathershow.py”, line 247, in update_citylist
newselection = newdata[0]
TypeError: ‘NoneType’ object is not subscriptable
File “/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-weathershow/weathershow.py”, line 247, in update_citylist

…Could you copy this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gedbd59bnk05nug/cities.txt?dl=0 to ~/.config/budgie-extras/weathershow? Then restart (-add) the applet. No clue why you get that error, only thing I can imagine is a permissions error or something like that, but let’s see!

Removing and reinstalling the applets makes no difference.

Downloading and restarting the applet, now.

Thank you. Your cities.txt file worked.

Now, I’m curious as to why the Budgie Weather applet isn’t working correctly anymore. No matter, though, as you’ve helped me to get this one working.

It boggles my mind, too, since I can write to the position file, current language file, and fahrenheit.

I am wondering too, I really have no idea. If it happens more often, we’ll add the city file to the installed files. The original Budgie applet never worked for me though, it always crashed my panel immediately.

Same issue as OP. Trying to type the city was painfully slow, and the search wand/enter key didn’t work.

Adding the cities.txt that vlijm supplied worked perfectly. Looks like the applet install doesn’t supply that file by default.

It’s a nice applet, but could use a couple of additions. A couple would be adding temp display as well as allowing the selection of non-European time formats.

GM

What do you mean by temp display?

Display the temperature, so that you wouldn’t need two seperate applet’s.

afbeelding

Doesn’t it show on your box?

About the time formats, are you talking about the weather applet? There is no time displayed in that.