Synaptic Getting Rid of Residual Configuration

Hi Folks - I find, since 20.04 upgrade, and still many upgrades since that I still have residual configuration of budgie-desktop-common in my system. Trying to remove it with Synaptic doesn’t work. This is far, far (even far) from serious but it niggles me. Is there a good reason why it should not be removed, if so, well and good. But if not, anyone got any ideas for its removal. It’s just clutter.

Sounds odd.

What’s the terminal output from?:

sudo apt remove budgie-desktop-common

Thanks David
Synaptic error message is:

Blockquote

E: budgie-desktop-common: installed budgie-desktop-common package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 2

While terminal output to sudo apt remove budgie-desktop-common is

Blockquote

Package ‘budgie-desktop-common’ is not installed, so not removed
…(which is what I would expect but I believe --purge is no longer available?)

Sorry David - --purge is available it seems. The terminal output, however is

"“Purging configuration files for budgie-desktop-common (0.12.4) …
dpkg-divert: error: mismatch on package
when removing ‘diversion of /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/ubuntu-logo-icon.png to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/ubuntu-logo-icon.png.budgie by budgie-desktop-common’
found ‘diversion of /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/ubuntu-logo-icon.png to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/ubuntu-logo-icon.png.budgie by budgie-desktop-environment’
dpkg: error processing package budgie-desktop-common (–purge):
installed budgie-desktop-common package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
budgie-desktop-common
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code 1”

Try purging budgie-desktop-environment first, then purging budgie-desktop-common

Then you can reinstall budgie-desktop-environment

Thanks @fossfreedom - I think I’ll put up with the untidiness, There is the possibility of much going wrong or at least much to reconfigure and reinstall if I remove my much loved primary desktop!