22.04 : unable to add printer ( which perfectly worked in 20.04 )

Ok, I ended up screwing everything, leading to a plain re-installation of UBudgie 20.04 where printer works as expected.

I still have a working 22.04 installation beside where I’ll try to figure out how to « fix » the B&W issue.

The long story : actually I was not so incautious and I had some Timeshift snapshots, therefore I decided to « roll back in time » to a 3 weeks old snapshots. I’m here on a 22.04 « upgraded » some days ago from 20.04.

All seemed to go well, rebooted fine at first sight. lsb_release shows 20.04 focal.
Setting printer ok. Relief.
Then I noticed I had no network at all, no way to enable it anywhere, nmcli complaining about being unable to do something with netplan.
Digging a bit in dmesg and other places I found netplan expected some version of libc ( ≥ 2.34 ).
And indeed, on a 20.04 glibc is 2.31 not 2.34.

Now looking closer at the installed kernels : my ( now ) downgraded 20.04 ( from 22.04 using Timeshift ) is actually running a 5.15.0-46 kernel ! I must have done something wrong with Timeshift.
Ok let’s try to boot an older kernel ( a 5.13⋅× if remembered correctly ) and… exactly same complain about libc version. This is unexpected.

Remember, I do all these on a production machine at work, such a good idea of mine, lol.
I backup’ed hidden elements of my $HOME ; visible data are safe elsewhere.
But work context where doing 3~4 things in the same time made me later forget « how » I did that backup and I deleted it while doing something else totally unrelated. Happy me.
This is just an anecdote.

But there’s a real question here, behind : after first initial 20.04→22.04 upgrade attempt I was already surprised I had to « reconfigure » my network. See Upgrading from 20.04 to 22.04.1 → 2 bad surprises - #7 by fossfreedom and I have no memory of any question regarding network-manager during the process ( about samba, I remember and expected it. )
So is there maybe some extra caution to care about network while upgrading from 20.04→22.04 ?

Ok we’ll never know because here I myself built the worst conditions for upgrading, I flatly admit.

But guys in years it’s not the first time I ( try to ) upgrade a ×buntu ( and UbuntuBudgie ) and failures are more common than achievements in that area ( for me. ) That’s why I usually prefer the dual boot route… Still, am the only one to blame for doing it here in such a bad prepared and unorganized way !

But I wanted to share that story to let you know I did not give up, lol.

Oh, there’s another question : where is the « repair » option in ISO ?
All I found ( and this was my last shot ) was in « Do something else », re-write on / without formatting it which led me to an non bootable system with 2 warning messages :
⋅ one for grub ( I think ) being unable to find the / partition by its uuid ( uuid which actually had not changed ) and
⋅ one regarding casper missing.

This is when I decided to do a plain, clean reinstall. And very clean since I had lost the hidden elements from my previous $HOME.