Applications menu : incomplete keyboard browsing & no recent category

Hey there.

Just to add some more insights:

• It’s probably not the best use of developer time to make proper unicode / international support for parts of Budgie which might be axed in the future.

• But [as a broader topic] something worthwhile to research, and learn more about. Because it affects all GUI stuff, for proper internationalization.

• A good solution is to recruit international members to your project (non-english speakers, for example russian, scandinavian, asian). Who by nature already have a strong interest and knowledge of unicode support.

Personally:

[edited]

Sorry I think I got confused with the budgie menu. It’s probably not the same thing as the budgie application launcher? (The Budgie Menu operates like the Gnome2 menu).

So perhaps this part of Budgie is worth investing more time in. I just have not been able to install it / try it yet due packaging Budgie Extras Github

Alternatively, having an external 3rd party application would instead also be equally welcome. As mentioned previously, I am now using Albert launcher on linux. Which is not without it’s own kinds of flaws and limitations.

The gold standards (for me, my own opinion) were tools like: QuickSilver on Mac OS X. Which is where it all started. The original tool that everybody else copied (including apple). But then much later on. We eventually saw on linux: in the earlier versions of Gnome 3, (which was when, around 16.04 time?). Then Gnome had an excellent usability for search. Which are the screenshots you posted above. Lovely. It was almost perfect.

Unfortunately (and more recently) the Gnome developers, for whatever bizarre reason(s) decided to destroy it’s functionality. By removing underlying stuff which the search GUI relies upon. I cannot fathom why. So it is now become rather useless for certain object types. For example: to search for songs, and playing those mp3s in your default music player. Doesn’t work anymore. And the GUI still has like checkboxes to ‘enable music’ etc. Totally broken now in 18.04.

Elsewhere, in the meantime, win10 (1803 update) start menu has improved quite drastically. To the point where i can just type in mp3 songs, and they will be played in AIMP. And is no longer so buggy / laggy. Pretty awesome. And ultimately that is the competition that the linux GUI desktops are facing (as always). Getting users off windows.