Battery consumption suddenly up

Since updating, upgrading, and installing Nvidia drivers, my power consumption is way up, 3 TIMES normal. This despite Nvidia prime being in Intel mode. I purged the Nvidia drivers and power consumption at reboot is still at 14W with TLP and with only Chrome running, vs the excellent 4.5 W or so this morning. Just FYI. I will look into this more!

odd - very odd. Have a look at top to see if there are any processes with a high CPU usage.

Suggest boot with an older kernel - see if the kernel released overnight is the issue.

Rolling back the kernel to the first 4.15 point version didn’t help. Powertop doesn’t show anything super unusual.

Running htop shows some CPU spikes with [PID 1121] /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch. I’m not familiar enough with my usual profile to know if that is unusual.

Certainly, though, after that update things were funky. My keyboard backlighting was turned on by default (which wasn’t the case before) and things felt a little slower overall.

I think I might try running from a fresh .iso and see if that fixes things…

Addendum: Idle CPU went from about 1% to 11-22%, so something going on… Downloading new .iso now.

I reinstalled from scratch on the .iso (full LTS! Congrats!) and so far so good. Interestingly, not choosing to update from the install, going into the store I got an error at first use that it couldn’t reach extensions.gnome.com or something to that effect. When reinstalling with updating during install, I did not get that error in the store at first boot.

I was rushed and didn’t have time for anything else yet but Powertop was looking better as was CPU usage at brief look. I’ll post more later.