Budgie Raspberry pi 4 - swap file vs zram

Have anyone experience in replacing swap file with zram?
Found a howto in TechRepublic but this did not work.

Interesting idea.

I presume you are referring to this article How to enable the zRAM module for faster swapping on Linux - TechRepublic

@samlane also found this No longer working on RPi4B Ubuntu 21.10 Impish · Issue #8 · foundObjects/zram-swap · GitHub

So possibly this maybe a ubuntu kernel issue itself - zram as a module is missing from the kernel?

Yes, and thank you on this update - swapfile will remain in my setup

tir. 23. nov. 2021 kl. 13:57 skrev David Mohammed via Ubuntu Budgie <ubuntubudgie@discoursemail.com>:

Do also look at the optimisations that @ilvipero recommends in the release README budgie-remix - Browse /budgie-raspi-21.10.1 at SourceForge.net

thanks again, this will be installed

tir. 23. nov. 2021 kl. 15:58 skrev David Mohammed via Ubuntu Budgie <ubuntubudgie@discoursemail.com>:

@samlane has researched this. Below is his investigations

Apparently there is a package now that either is no longer part of the default install for whatever reason, or was inadvertently left out. (I read somewhere that the kernel modules package was split in two, but I don’t know enough to know if this is true or not).

But on a fully updated install, 5.13.0-1010, installing the package “linux-modules-extra-raspi” installed the missing zram module and also several others.

Rebooted and zram works now.

@samlane FYI - from the Ubuntu 21.10 release notes https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/impish-indri-release-notes/21951:

"

• Various kernel modules have been moved from the linux-modules-raspi package in order to reduce the initramfs size. This results in several applications (most notably Docker, bug 1947601 ) failing due to missing kernel modules. To work around this:
    • sudo apt install linux-modules-extra-raspi"