Chromium as a snap in 19.10 : style?

Same joke when removing audacity-snap.

Nothing’s left under ~/snap/audacity except the current symlink, of course broken.

Oh ! https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/very-bad-my-user-data-was-removed-too/11336

Unless you are using the old version specified in the thread from last year, it shouldn’t be the same thing.

Oh, also did you open a thread on these difficulties on the snapcraft forum? No report = potential unresolved bug.

:+1:

I was actually answering on the linked above thread, but you’re right it’s not the same situation, so I’m trying to find a better place, or start a new one :wink:

see → https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/removing-a-snap-also-removes-its-matching-users-configuration/17890

You may have seen…

So the default is to remove everything.

But those data are stored a moment and eventually used by restore feature, if done in the next 30 following days…

All these of course without saying anything to the user - so how may he know ???

Good news is : cli will now inform about the restore feature.

But basic users will not notice it as long as there is no full featured GUI for managing snap.

Remember when I wrote snap « should be thought with [ end-user in mind ] + [ what works good in legacy formats ] » ?

:grin: anyway am glad it will improve !

It is listed twice in the documents. Under the snapshot section and in the getting started guide under the snap uninstall docs. So I think they covered it here. No real surprises.

Oh please… it’s like saying RTFM to someone in need of « friendly » help.
I may not be the most trendy Linux guy but using Ubuntu at home and work for more than 10 years, I often go RTFM myself and I totally missed out this restore thing ( because obviously I was not searching for that ).

There is no discoverability for that feature while you are managing your snap packages, either in CLI or GUI. And this is now fixed CLI side at least. But bet fresh beginners will miss it out.

Since it’s a major difference from what we’re used to know for years in Ubuntu, that’s an important and interesting new feature to show to users ( being able to restore or start anew ).

:smiley:

Your specific question was:

The reality is - when you do not know something, what do you do? You either ask for help, or you go research it. No one was told to go RTFM.

Snaps have the same GUI as deb packages on Ubuntu (leveraging gnome-software). Can it be better? FOR SURE. But you can add and remove them from there. Just as you can for apt-based packages.

The beauty is if you don’t like tech and the way it operates (be it now, or in the future), you have a choice. Don’t use it, use it and educate yourself, or if you are capable, get involved and make it better.

Upfront - my next statement is absolutely NOT targeted at you.

I am not a fan when someone simply complains or badmouths the work of other people. Software is hard. Sure Canonical is paying devs (in this case), but they have priorities set out for them. And there are opensource contributors to snapcraft itself as well.

I am happy there are people there doing this work that I get to partake in and use for free.

Just a heads up, I took back some of your feedback and brought up the discover-ability of information related to users data (a very important thing!)

It is being added in 2 additional spots in the docs and there was a PR completed that added this info to snap remove --help as well.

So they are very receptive to suggestions and have already made some of these changes.

I also suggested that the info should be available in the GUI as well, but I know there is some effort behind that one and potentially outside groups/devs upstream. So there is no guarantee on that one.

1 Like

Off the record …still lot of work to be done :wink:

Here are Gimp, Chromium, Audacity as snap, showing their file-explorer :

None of them is matching my Ubuntu Budgie theme.

Yup. That’s because our themes are not in the gtk Commons themes snap. They have a method that’s in progress where snaps with auto connect to a matching snap theme if a snap exists for the theme itself. Once the final spec is done, I’ll be packaging our official theme as a snap.

Just waiting for the feature to be available.

As you may see, I’m far from the official theme… but I’ll test whatever comes !

I guess Yaru ( theme + icons ) already exist as snap ? Is it still named communitytheme or something like this ?

Ok. Hear that : I am absolutely amazed how enthusiast all you people are !!!

:heart:

Gah - I missed that! Oops.

It’s fresh from today, you did not miss anything :wink:

I meant that I missed in your screenshot that it wasn’t the default theme. :+1: