Difficulty switching between touchscreen and touchpad

I’m having a little trouble switching between using my touchscreen and touchpad. If I start using the touchscreen, it seems the touchpad becomes disabled and I can’t get it to work and control the mouse again unless i vigorously move back and forth with my finger on it. Is there a specific gestrure I’m supposed to use in order to regain control via touchpad? Or is there some way to enable both screen and pad to work simultaneously?

This?

it looks like that might be related. i tinkered a little bit and found that by moving my finger slowly rightward accross my touchpad brings it back into control. I don’t want to mess with the settings so will just stick with using this gesture.

unfortunately i spoke too quickly here, the touchpad issues are worse and more widespread than i thought. if im using the web browser chrome i can usually gain touchpad control back by rightward motion accross my touchpad, but doesn’t seem to work if im using the system itself. this problem seems to arise spontaneously and not even linked to using the touchscreen, just sometimes the touchpad will no longer be able to control the mouse cursor…weird!

I did a simple restart of the system which seems to have fixed the problem for now, although i do see a lot of threads about problems with the touchpad in linux.

spoke too soon again… problem is back. did some digging looks like it is a known issue, Cursor not show up after using touchscreen in X11 (#2344) · Issues · GNOME / mutter · GitLab

Well found. So it has been fixed. It is in 22.10 currently. It missed the backport into the upcoming mutter version due shortly in 22.04 hopefully it will make it into the next backport … so that should be around oct/nov time.

hopefully it is in the next backport, this is a super annoying glitch!