Gaming on Ubuntu Budgie

Hey everyone!

With WINE getting better each day and the development of DXVK, I’ve been wondering, what kinds of games are you fan of?

What open source games would you like to see in snap marketplace? Note: Open Source implementation of Theme Hospital is available on snap

Are you using GOG? Would you like to see GOG Linux client?

What Linux Steam games are you currently playing?

Your feedback is important so that we could see what could be improved in regards to gaming on Ubuntu Budgie.

1 Like

One other interesting thing… People are starting to snap up windows games with wine right in the snap. Easy install!! License/drm would be the main consideration

Hmm I didn’t know that. I though that they were doing that with Flatpak and AppImage.

Well, not the ones in the snap store… :grin:

Hello,

I actually have Steam (native) installed and play CSGO, Mad Max and other titles that are natively supported on Linux via Steam. Unfortunately, titles such as PUBG I have to dual boot into Windows - I would love not having to do that despicable thing :slight_smile:

Using Wine 3.9 with Vulkan 1.0.5.7 and DXVK 0.53

At the moment I’m currently testing Heroes of the Storm. Aside from the news being broken in the game client and the black background when entering the game, which should have animated model, everything works okay. Average FPS is around 35fps with some slowdowns here and there, but not that much. The game will sometime complain about the CPU usage with the icon located at the top right warning you about CPU usage. I believe that with the future builds of DXVK and Vulkan 1.1, which should be part of Wine now that MIT licensing issue has been solved, the game will be a lot more stable, but even now it is somewhat playable.

If you have any title you want to test feel free to ask me.

Hi, just installed Steam. Can Far Cry 4/5 played on Ubuntu Budgie or OMSI 2?
Games like Civilization or Anno are working fine.

Just FYI, there are two things that I think make UB a great gaming DE:

1. That hotcorners applet is the easiest way to turn that feature on and off of any DE I’ve seen. If you’re going back and forth between gaming and productivity, it’s terrific. I use it a few times a day.

2. That same hotcorners applet with Skippy-XD as an overview is terrific way to experiment with DXVK and Wine/Proton games. As anyone trying those knows, they can occasionally take over a screen and prevent alt-tabbing, but man, jam your mouse into a corner with that applet and middle click kill it with Skippy-XD and that works better to regain control from a crashed or hung Windows game than in any other DE I’ve used.

Okay thx for sharing your experience :slight_smile: So UB is a great OS for gaming, productivity and programming? I used before UB Fedora, Linux Mint and Antergos. Fedora was okay - but IMO UB might work better. What’s your opinion about it?

The differences between distros aren’t big when it comes to gaming. Although distros with newer kernel have an edge on this front - due to newer drivers.