Hello wonderful people of Ubuntu Budgie,
Since I joined the team, I have been busy helping out behind the scene and getting familiar. One of the things I have been doing, is keep an eye on discourse posts. I saw there have been frequent discussions around gaming.
Then I saw a nice project on github regarding gaming on Ubuntu Budgie Welcome and I thought, why not get the community involved and have fun together?
So this is the idea:
See if we can revive the wonderful idea to add a gaming menu to Ubuntu Budgie Welcome. https://github.com/UbuntuBudgie/budgie-welcome/pull/260 . I am going to reach out to original author, but if someone else in the community wants to pick it up or create a new one from scratch, that would work too.
Once we can get that finished and added to Ubuntu Budgie, we would have a very nice and fun foundation for more fun. What we can do with it depends a bit on how this menu/app shapes up.
Fun community events can then start. Create some polls and get the community involved to submit and vote on entries for games or gaming related software we could add to this and make our Ubuntu Budgie tailored gaming list. Make a nice battle of the games, post or stream about it (depends on involvement) and see which ones make it to the top.
I will be very happy to hear what you guys think. Don’t be shy! Share thoughts and ideas.
If you want to help us testing latest features, please switch to edge version of our Ubuntu Budgie Welcome
snap refresh --edge ubuntu-budgie-welcome
- Steam added via steam-launcher .deb, considering switching to steam package from Ubuntu repositories so icon status can properly switch and allow users to remove and reinstall the package as needed.
- Lutris added and working correctly.
- RetroArch added and working correctly.
- MiniGalaxy to be added: a small issue with 20.04 not having it in the universe repo, @HellBringer419 is considering if hiding the package for 20.04 or switching to a secondary method of installation just for 20.04.
- Initial list of recommended games is solid, we are looking at updating it with more variety, but this is a stretch goal for now, as we are focusing on core features to be refined, we are trying to get this package stable for 22.04 release.
- Most gaming tools are already tested working correctly, There are some improvements we are aiming to get done for the Razer devices. OpenRazer daemon requires user to be part of the plugdev group, and @HellBringer419 is trying to add this to post-install and post-removal scripts. Also need to make sure all packages related to OpenRazer and Polychromatic are fully removed. More details on post 38 of this thread.
- CoreCTRL. Since this PPA includes very good and up-to-date AMD/Intel driver stack, it is very useful to both inform and warn users that if they install CoreCTRL their system will be moving faster on GPU drivers stack.
- As outlined in post number 41 of this thread, we are going to work on a related task to improve user experience related to all things gaming. This is currently in the initial stages of discussion, documentation of required logic and needed checks, actions, and packages.