Testing 20.04 - only for the most adventurous

This topic is intended to capture early testing of 20.04 (Focal Fossa).

20.04 Schedule

• Oct 25th - Feb 27th - development
  • Feb 27th - Feature freeze
  • April 2nd - Beta Testing
  • April 16th - Release Candidate
  • April 23rd - Final Release

If you have spare hardware and don’t mind regularly reinstalling when (and I mean WHEN) 20.04 eats your installation then feel free to give your feedback here. Early testing will improve the final release

Please use http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/ for testing ISOs (just click the relevant links and there’s guides as you navigate the site)

Packages and hardware are meant to be tested also using QA trackers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/Tester

As the above page shows, probably the best way to get stuck in with testing is run Ubuntu 20.04 (either download or upgrade from 19.10 with update-manager -d ) as often as possible for usual tasks (bearing in mind that one’s productivity and data may be hampered by bugs on 20.04!) and reporting bugs with ubuntu-bug and ubuntu-bug package-name as you go.

Alternatively, there is always a huge backlog of bugs that need to be triaged (i.e., progressed towards being fixed), head to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad for a guide on getting started with that!

Use this query to see if your testing issue has been highlighted by others first before reporting.

This first post will be updated with the latest important info - so you don’t need to trawl through the posts. Remember - everything listed below is subject to change/removal and should not be used as indicative with the beta & later release.

1. Desktop Menu - we are thinking about making available a stylish new menu applet - Details
  2. Network Manager Applet - soft fork now included in budgie-extras - Details
  3. System Tray applet now dropped as a default - it is buggy and the network manager applet is now/intended as a default - Details
  4. At the same time - added the ability to not run network-manager applet - this ensures the buggy system tray icon no longer appears
  5. Multiple desktop layouts - Details
  6. Budgie Themes & Layouts - individual parts of the make-over can be performed e.g. just the theme, icon etc Details
  7. WallStreet - new lightweight wallpaper rotator every x minutes - Details
  8. Windows Shuffler - Reworked shuffler with additional capability - Details
  9. Budgie Desktop 10.5.1 - Latest version of budgie desktop with new capabilities - Details
  10. Ubuntu Budgie desktop wallpaper competition - thanks for all the entries and the winners
    4. Multi-monitor panels - need testing and feedback for possible multiple panels across monitors - Details TBD
  11. Budgie Extras Translations - number of applets have now display translations in the following languages & locales - please confirm/update translations where necessary - https://www.transifex.com/ubuntu-budgie/ - all translations incorporated into the extras daily PPA to test with ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily
    6. Cloud sync budgie settings - can be used to restore - Details TBD
  12. Latest version of Qogir gtk theme - Details
  13. Latest version of vimix theme available through Menu - Budgie Themes & Layouts
  14. “Login Window” aka lightdm-settings has received a sizeable update - Details
  15. New applet budgie-visualspace-applet - a stylish compact workspace switcher - Details
  16. F12/Workspace switching/disable of event sounds and cleanup of budgie-desktop-environment - Details
  17. HiDPI (4K) support for Budgie applets (both in built and third-party) and their popup functionality - Details
  18. Fix for shortcuts mysteriously going missing - need your help to confirm - Details
  19. Fix for multimonitors to stop windows overlapping the top-bar when maximised - need your help to confirm all panel positions and scaling options - Details
  20. Switch from qt5-style-plugins to qt5ct for QT app styling - apps such as vlc - Details.
  21. Dropby applet makes a reappearance as a default panel applet - Details
  22. Application Indicator applet - don’t show missing image icons for google hangouts extension i.e. Chrome/Chromium have now removed appindicator support - the extension from google has still to catch up
  23. Weathershow applet - Display temperature correctly on vertical panels
  24. All welcome themes made available for Focal users - need a confirmation that all is well - Details
  25. All welcome applets made available for Focal users - need a confirmation that all is well - Details
  26. Support large global menu in budgie-desktop panel - Details
  27. Whilst we have decided not to ship DesktopFolder (the desktop icons replacement for Nemo Desktop) a new version is available for the LTS - Details
  28. Fixed budgie-desktop bug to allow custom layouts that includes left & right panels.
  29. Preparing mutter 3.36 compatibility for budgie-desktop - https://github.com/solus-project/budgie-desktop/pull/1918
  30. Celluloid has now replaced gnome-mpv
  31. Samba has been removed as a default install
  32. Moka based icons revised to capture GNOME 3.32/3.34 and hopefully 3.36 changes - details
  33. GNOME Software Updates tab has been hidden - it doesnt really work and the recommended update process is via Menu - Software & Updates
  34. Drawing is now a default application - Details
  35. Papercut - uninstalling default applets now no longer uninstalls the Ubuntu Budgie desktop environment.
  36. GNOME Firmware is now a default application - Details
  37. Seamless desktop-to/from-android phone transfer - we now ship with go-mtpfs by default Details
  38. Tweaked budgie-pixel-saver-applet to correctly handle displaying Titles/Titles & Buttons/Buttons
  39. Latest Nemo Share & Nemo Dropbox are available and need testing - Details
  40. Budgie Desktop now includes a patch developed by myself hopefully to reduce the number of crash reports you see on first logon.
  41. Note: GNOME Upstream have now removed the split of Application Menus from the Window menu. So for Budgie this means there is no separate “Application” icon in the decoration to show the appmenu. Appmenus are now combined in the Window menu.
  42. xxxx

Upgraded 19.10 with the sed command and the installation broke with updates. I just installed the daily build and survived the same updates. Only testing on one system this cycle.:ghost:

wow - very adventurous!!

Yeah - Canonical devs are battling with the basics at the moment - the archive isn’t open so things are very much in flux. Given past precedent things will settle down to approx 2 to 3 weeks after the archive is opened for development. Possibly tomorrow or next week.

Need feedback for Wallstreet - wallpaper changer on a fixed time interval

(ignore the obvious typo!)

We have a new mini app for you to try - its a very lightweight application to change your wallpaper for a directory of images. Thoughts please?

To install - either grab the budgie-wallstreet.deb and budgie-extras-common.deb from the PPA or add the PPA itself.

You activate wallstreet via the menu option (remember to logout/login after the installation)

Remember to rollback to a stable release via

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily

I use Virtualbox for testing new releases. However, the default screen/view size is often too small to easily do things. Installing VB Guest Additions generally does not work on early releases. So, to fix the screen size install virtualbox-guest-x11 and now you will be able to resize the VB screen.

Hi,

I’ve right now installed guest additions on 20.04 (I don’t want to call “her” - she’s a little girl! - “Focal Fossa” :nauseated_face: ) today’s version.

Sil

The extras PPA is not secure. I was able to install the wallstreet .deb

The repository ‘http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily/ubuntu focal Release’ does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

extras PPA for focal is now available.

Yay! Going to install a test 20.04 asap!

budgie desktop 10.5.1 is now available in Focal

IMPORTANT - THIS IS CURRENTLY IN THE PROPOSED POCKET AND WILL EVENTUALLY MIGRATE TO RELEASE (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/budgie-desktop)

v10.5.1 Official announcement can be found here:

Text of the announcement reproduced below:
Budgie 10.5.1 is the first minor release of the Budgie 10.5 series, introducing a multitude of quality-of-life changes, bug fixes, and support for new GNOME Stacks. This Budgie 10.5 series release also brings new and updated translations thanks to our amazing community!
Bug Fixes

Bug fixes are the cornerstone of Budgie 10.5 series releases, ensuring existing Budgie user experiences are smoother than ever.

Budgie 10.5.1 introduces some bug fixes around Budgie Menu artifacting, notifications, improving window raise performance, and more. Let’s break down the big items that were addressed!

Budgie Menu
    Menu artificating (such as window borders still showing in some cases) is now fixed.
    Menu items are now sorted using locale linguist rules.
IconTasklist
    Fixed instances of window tracking in multi-window scenarios by invalidating our window on close in our AbominationRunningApp and picking another window of the same WM_CLASS.
    Fixed the ability to move non-favorited running applications / windows in IconTasklist across grouping and non-grouping modes. These are now allowed to intermingle with your favorited applications without concern for a panel crash. We’re doing this by more heavily leveraging our AbominationRunningApp to provide more consistent window-specific IDs.
Raven
    Notification body alignment is now properly justified.
    Notifications will now properly wrap using WORD_CHAR, so we’ll be more aggressive on wrapping on words when possible, but fallback to characters for longer running strings like URLs.
    Application controls in the Sound applet will now handle Gvc ChannelMap changes. This is useful since some applications do not provide accurate GvcStream volume immediately when creating their stream, such as Firefox when starting a video. We’ll now ensure we’re updating those values and ensuring applications like Firefox more accurately reflect muted states over Gvc.
Polkit: We now correctly handle user dismissing authentication dialogs
WM: We now enforce an instant auto raise of windows when the focus-mode is set to mouse over / mouse focus and 250ms on click, resulting in speedy window raising.

Quality of Life

Budgie 10.5.1 introduces a few new goodies to make your Budgie experience, as well as those of our Budgie theme authors, even better!
Budgie Desktop Settings
2019/10/Budgie Desktop Settings Fonts

Budgie 10.5.1 introduces hinting and anti-aliasing settings in our Fonts section of Budgie Desktop Settings, allowing you even more flexibility with how document, interface, monospace, and window title fonts render:

For font hinting, you can choose between a range of options ranging from no font hinting to full font hinting.
For antialiasing, you can choose between subpixel antialiasing, standard grayscale, and no antialiasing.

GNOME Stack Support

Budgie 10.5.1 provides support for several GNOME stack releases, allowing for an ever growing amount of Budgie users to get the latest updates! Budgie supports GNOME 3.30, 3.32, and now 3.34, including recent changes in GNOME Settings Daemon.

Thanks to the folks over at Ubuntu Budgie for their patches, it’s greatly appreciated!
Icon Tasklist
2019/10/Budgie Desktop Icon Tasklist Hover

If you have a single window open for a given IconButton in the Icon Tasklist, we will now update the tooltip when you hover over.
Workspaces
2019/10/Budgie Desktop Settings Desktop

Budgie 10.5.1 introduces the ability to have persistent workspaces created at the launch of Budgie, with a configurable amount of default workspaces.

Under the Desktop section of Budgie Desktop Settings, you’ll find a new option called “Number of virtual desktops”, where you can go from just having one workspace up to eight! A perfect opportunity to hide away all those Electron apps you’re ashamed to be running!

If you want more workspaces dynamically, you can still use our Workspace Applet to add more as you need them.
Styling

Budgie 10.5.1 introduces a multitude of new CSS classes to ease Budgie Desktop theme development:

Icon Popover: Now has the icon-popover class
Night Light Applet: The container for the Night Light applet popover now uses the night-light-indicator class
Raven
    MPRIS widget now has an mpris-widget class
    MPRIS widget controls now have a raven-mpris-controls class
    Notifications View now has the raven-notifications-view class
    Internal to the Notifications View, we now provide the raven-header class, as well as dedicated classes for the Do Not Disturb (do-not-disturb) and Clear All Notifications (clear-all-notifications) buttons
    Groups of Notifications (per app) now have the raven-notifications-group class, with the header being raven-notifications-group-header and the individual Notifications having notification-clone classes.
    When no album art is provided for the MPRIS widget, we set the no-album-art class

I was able to get Wallstreet running . First I had to set it to autostart and reboot . I think the GUI should have an auto-start option and there should be a panel applet so it runs in the background like a mail client. Some update or application I installed removed showtime and the budgie desktop meta package. ???

The Run wallstreet checkbox is the autostart option - but it does need a logout/login on first install. I’ve raised this issue to cover this discussion

I don’t know what removed showtime or the meta package - I’ve just done a full update and then installed the PPA/wallstreet. All good here.

I would also recommend using Wallstreet with no panel transparency because when the wallpaper switches to lighter colors the applet icons if light in color are lost and look washed out.

lightdm-settings is another package Ubuntu Budgie maintains - it is the “Login Window” found in the Menu.

A large update has been made catching up with a couple of years worth of changes. So please have a look and check carefully that there are no regressions.

After setting up a wallstreet folder with hand picked wallpapers that won’t interfere with show time or weather it works pretty well. I am running a solid panel to avoid any icon/applet readability problems.

2 Likes

Having trouble with show time after updates. Please see the image. I have added and removed the applet with no change . Replying that it works on my system won’t help me solve the problem. The configuration file location might be helpful.Screenshot%20from%202019-11-03%2011-11-58

Ah, most likely the default line spacing is incorrect. Should be -20, to set in budgie settings:

I changed the spacing to + 8 and the applet displays properly . I’m testing Wallstreet , so I don’t know if the change is related. ?! Thanks !

Great. No, wallstreet is not related to showtime. The latter is a layer on top of the background. Interesting though that similar line spacing seems to work differently on 20.04.

The applets have been updating regularly and the change occurred on first boot this morning.