Testing 20.04 - only for the most adventurous

Our package budgie-desktop-environment that provides all the customisation aspects of budgie-desktop has had a radical overhaul.

Hopefully nothing has gone awry by the merge of various things - but if the look of budgie looks a bit off please let us know.

additional changes:

1. F12 no longer launches tilix
  2. CTRL+ALT+left/right swaps workspaces without a workspace indicator in the middle of the screen. This has been done to speed up switching workspaces & most importantly removes the possibility of crashes due to conflicts with the workspace animations
  3. Event alerts sounds are disabled by default now - if you want alert sounds choose the alert noise you want and sound level in Settings - Sound

QT app styling was causing slow app starting issues. This was because the GTK2 style plugins were officially deprecated.

Thus we have now switched from QT5-style-plugins to QT5ct. You should see a QT5 Config app now in the menu to help you configure styling of QT apps. Also to note - some QT5 apps such as VLC also have styling options built in as well.

14 posts were split to a new topic: Pocillo QT theming and controls

Dropby applet makes a reappearance for 20.04 as a default app. It was previously removed at 19.04 since various people reported panel freezing issues.

We believe this has now been resolved, so just need testing. Stick in usb sticks to your computer and a notification window will appear.

If you are upgrading, then either reset your panel or add dropby via budgie desktop settings panel.

1 Like

I think Elementaryā€™s panel has more or less solved that problem : itā€™s transparent but the color of its content ( fonts, icons ) is automatically adjusted regarding the light or dark nature of the background image. How ? I donā€™t knowā€¦ but this effect is beautiful.

Maybe some blur under the panel - when transparent - might help ?

1 Like

Does it mean it is now safe to use Dropby Applet in ā€¦ 18.04 ?

18.04? Do you mean 20.04?

Where drop by applet does not work any longer for months, see DropBy applet : broken?

So I wonder if itā€™s fixed in actual LTS.

We have continued to look at 4K support for budgie desktop - both using scaling of 100% and scaling of 200%.

Popover fixes have been made to ensure they appear and work at 200%.

We need 4K owners to dig around budgie desktop to find those areas we havenā€™t spotted.

Over the years it has been reported that occasionally on logon keyboard shortcuts magically stop working. Logging out and logging in usually resolves this.

So we have looked further and included a patch - its in 18.04 backports and in 20.04. We need testers to confirm if the issue has been resolved ā€¦ if it isnā€™t - how frequent is the issue still occurring.

We have had a closer look at issues around people using multiple monitors - some people have reported that when maximising - moving windows to the top - window decorations get hidden partially behind the top-panel.

We need users with multiple monitors whether our proposed fix works for your setup.

I have an error opening tilix today post update. Iā€™ve installed lxterminal to display the error . d-book@dbook-HP:~$ tilix

(tilix:6124): Gtk-WARNING **: 11:15:07.252: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:4188:4: Junk at end of value for min-height

(tilix:6124): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 11:15:07.280: Settings schema 'com.gexperts.Tilix.Keybindings' is not installed
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
d-book@dbook-HP:~$ d-book@dbook-HP:~$ tilix

A sync from debian has just been made. That is the cause.

A bug has been already reported in debian

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=946629

Once it has been resolved in debian then we will get the fix as part of the automatic sync process

Thanks, Iā€™ll use lxterminal if needed until resolved. Gnome terminal included a nautilus extension dependency .

From the bug report - workaround whilst the fix is awaited:

1. in file /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/com.gexperts.Tilix.gschema.xml at
    line 206 <default>${title}</default>

change to <default>'${title}'</default>

1. sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
1 Like

I just received what I think is a related update and noted this error.

Setting up libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.63.1-2ubuntu1) ...
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/com.gexperts.Tilix.gschema.xml:207:1  Failed to pars
e <default> value of type ā€œsā€: 0:expected value.  This entire file has been igno
red.

Huh strangeā€¦ i recommend filing a bugreport w/ Ubuntu

Bug reported.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tilix/+bug/1856347

Nice thanks!
Found a typo :stuck_out_tongue:

Debian related bug Bug:https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=946629
You said bug bug, lol.
Honestly I have no idea whatā€™s going on, but then itā€™s good I havenā€™t taken the leap and switched to 20.04 on my main machine - itā€™s vital for me to use Tilix and I do on a regular basis :stuck_out_tongue:

I was aware of it, but didnā€™t have time to go back and edit. I wrote bug and had Bug in a copy and paste from the text editor which included the error messages . Now edited . Shrug

1 Like