Testing 20.10 - only for the most adventurous

This topic is intended to capture early testing of 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla). Note for 20.10 suggested enhancements please use this thread

20.10 Schedule

• April 30th - Aug 27th - development
  • Aug 27th - Feature freeze
  • Oct 1st - Beta Testing
  • Oct 15th - Release Candidate
  • Oct 22nd - Final Release

If you have spare hardware (or a virtual machine or two) and don’t mind regularly reinstalling when (and I mean WHEN) 20.10 eats your installation then feel free to give your feedback here. Early testing will improve the final release

Please use http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/ for testing ISOs (just click the relevant links and there’s guides as you navigate the site)

Packages and hardware are meant to be tested also using QA trackers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/Tester

As the above page shows, probably the best way to get stuck in with testing is run Ubuntu 20.10 (either download or upgrade from 20.04 with update-manager -d ) as often as possible for usual tasks (bearing in mind that one’s productivity and data may be hampered by bugs on 20.10!) and reporting bugs with ubuntu-bug and ubuntu-bug package-name as you go.

Alternatively, there is always a huge backlog of bugs that need to be triaged (i.e., progressed towards being fixed), head to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad for a guide on getting started with that!

Use this query to see if your testing issue has been highlighted by others first before reporting.

This first post will be updated with the latest important info - so you don’t need to trawl through the posts. Remember - everything listed below is subject to change/removal and should not be used as indicative with the beta & later release.

Applets and mini-apps

For Ubuntu Budgie applets these can be tested via our daily PPA for 20.04:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily && sudo apt upgrade

1. Hotcorners: Option added to configure hotcorners via budgie-desktop-settings and therefore hide the icon from the panel
  2. Dropby: Applet settings now has the ability to display the USB window notification in any corner you define
  3. Dropby: Animation when copying media so that you now when copying is in progress/finished
  4. Dropby: Crash reports resolved when second user account uses dropby on same machine (also backported to 20.04)
  5. Application Menu: Touch Screen friendly - can now swipe on your touchscreen
  6. Application Menu: Better keyboard navigation from the search to categories etc.
  7. Application Menu: Search bar changes position to the bottom when on a bottom panel
  8. Application Menu: Hide the large number of Settings menu icons shown in the grid view and the System Tools category menu - its more elegant this way - use the search capabilities to find Settings options like bluetooth and sharing etc.
  9. Application Menu: In a similar fashion the logout/restart/suspend/shutdown icons have now been removed. Search actions are now available for these + the ability to “lock” the screen when searching and “hibernate” if you have enabled hibernation separately
  10. Application Menu: Mouse rollover capability in the category view is now available via applet settings
  11. Application Menu: Handling of fractions should be better and more intuitive (e.g. 5.3*0.5 in the search bar)
  12. Application Menu - Category view - styled as a sidebar now
  13. Previews: auto close when app loses focus (also backported to 20.04)
  14. Previews: enable/disabling the capability is now dynamic - there is no need to logout/login
  15. Previews: Multiple Libreoffice windows are previewed correctly to allow switching (also backported to 20.04)
  16. Previews: now displays a tooltip on mouse hover (configurable) to show the full window name
  17. Previews - no longer crashes when there are no windows and you invoke alt+tab multiple times (to be backported to 20.04)
  18. Network: left/right panels do not have a large space when applet placed in end section. (also backported to 20.04)
  19. Network: VPNs listed are now alphabetically sorted to make things easier to find the right VPN (also backported to 20.04)
  20. Brightness Controller applet: Fix to make slider actually work. Should now work against a GNOME 3.36 base (also backported to 20.04)
  21. Window Shuffler - enable/disabling the capability is now dynamic - there is no need to logout/login
  22. Window Shuffler Sticky Neighbours - new capability to resize adjacent windows automatically https://youtu.be/j6mrrVpE5A0
  23. Window Shuffler - feedback when trying to tile windows that have a minimum size bigger than the tile placement
  24. Window Shuffler - add CLI option to place apps to any tile position. This allows everyone to script their launch and placement setup
  25. Welcome Layouts - global menu occasionally crashes the panel when using cupertino/theone layouts. For these we now re-enable the nemo menu - for other layouts we hide the menu (remember to use Alt to show the menu) (also backported to 20.04)
  26. Make distro friendly: Some distros don’t use some stuff located in /usr/bin and other file locations. We have now reworked the vala applets/mini apps to compile to user-defined system locations (i.e. via meson --bindir --sysconfdir --prefix --libdir)
  27. Countdown: This applet is now vertical panel friendly with icons and text respecting the space available on vertical panels (also backported to 20.04)
  28. General: Latest translations from the Transifex team - more help wanted https://www.transifex.com/ubuntu-budgie/ubuntu-budgie-extras (also backported to 20.04)
  29. New applet: Desktop fullscreen applauncher called budgie-lightpad-applet Desktop Overview (full screen launcher)
  30. budgie-workspace-wallpaper-applet has been rewritten in Vala. This has been done primarily to ensure no inadvertent panel crashes. In addition it takes into account the budgie desktop changes we made to switch wallpapers almost instantaneously (without animation) when switching workspaces.
  31. WeatherShow - add the ability to display a custom location for the weather city
  32. QuickChar - don’t crash when run on Wayland based desktops.

Budgie Desktop

1. Patch created to allow you to choose which screenshot app to be invoked when pressing Print, Ctrl Print, Alt Print - dconf-editor is used to change the app
  2. Being a good contributor - we have upstream’d to the budgie-desktop project several 20.04 patches we have developed (Wnck crash, gnome-shell/budgie-desktop conflict as well as the ability to define the print button screenshot app)
  3. Fix created and pull-request made to allow non Latin keyboard layouts from the keyboard applet (to be backported to 20.04)
  4. Started looking at introducing compatibility with GNOME3.38 which will be on 20.10. PR made upstream
  5. Wallpaper changing now respects the animation flag - so if you turn of animations, changing wallpapers occur instantaneously
  6. Fix occasional crash when removing applets from a panel
  7. Upstream has resolved system tray icons breaking on login, resume from suspension
  8. Upstream has resolved Spotify cover art not displaying in raven
  9. Upstream: chromium browser based notifications now display their icons
  10. Upstream has enabled creating new instances of windows via middle click of icon task list applet
  11. Upstream has completely reworked the system tray. This resolves lots of issues including icons appearing to overlap each other.
  12. In raven we display week-numbers by default for the calendar
  13. Patch added to hide the “Default” theme in budgie-desktop-settings which is the Debian specific name for “Adwaita”

Themes

1. Arc-Theme has now been updated - the maintainer has changed to https://github.com/jnsh/arc-theme. The theme now has an additional theme called Arc-Lighter. Do give some feedback especially about anything budgie related to the new maintainer - do give thanks to the new maintainer taking on this challenge.
  2. Paper-Theme updated to the latest upstream version
  3. Pocillo-Theme - all the deprecated SASS code has been fixed. This future proofs the theme. Any help - large or small is welcome. Join the UB team by becoming the pocillo theme dedicated maintainer! https://github.com/UbuntuBudgie/pocillo-gtk-theme
  4. QogirBudgie-Theme - all the deprecated SASS code has been fixed. This future proofs the theme. Any issues - please raise to https://github.com/vinceliuice/Qogir-theme
  5. QogirTheme - as requested by the community, the highlight focus colour has changed from Ubuntu Orange to Standard Blue.
    5. Test focal package for Pocillo-Tela iconset which may become the default in 20.10 Let's choose new icon theme for Ubuntu Budgie

Budgie Welcome

1. Extras - rename “Applets” to Extras to better reflect the types of things that can be installed
  2. Extras - Instructions on how to enable applets after install displayed immediately next to the install button when invoked.
  3. Extras - All window previews to be uninstalled
  4. Add Budgie Lightpad Applet installable for 18.04 and later
  5. Themes - Corrected picture sizing to be identical for all themes
  6. Themes - Allow users of the vimix makeover to install individual parts
  7. Themes - Latest Upstream Paper theme has now removed Paper cursors - so rework to remove this from makeover
  8. Mojave theme/icons and font makeover is now available in budgie-welcome. This has been backported to 20.04 as well Testing 20.10 - only for the most adventurous
  9. Getting Started - point to the correct YouTube video for Shuffler
  10. Getting Started - Corrected 20.04 keyboard shortcut to launch Shuffler
  11. Getting Started - Added Brave Browser to the browser ballot
  12. Getting Started - fixed bug where translated topics had an apostrophe which caused the topic not to respond to a click to display the topic.
  13. General - Latest translations - more help wanted! https://www.transifex.com/ubuntu-budgie/budgie-welcome

Additional

1. gedit text edit highlight for current line turned off. Dark themes are broken with gedit and often the text color cannot be read.
  2. New option “Align to grid” when right click the desktop - this switches on the desktop grid mode. Note there will now be a “Customise” right click menu option available when you choose Align to grid and this can be used to customise the grid including turning off/on the icon auto-arrangement
  3. We now ship with our own file extension handling list of apps e.g. picture files should open in the viewer gthumb and .deb should open in gnome-software Testing 20.10 - only for the most adventurous
  4. We now disable the nemo behaviour where a double-click in an empty area would go up one folder
  5. We enable default in nemo to allow a slow doubleclick on filename to rename a file
  6. The Ubuntu Budgie team choice wallpapers are now available in 20.10. Enjoy!
  7. Nemo - Enforce asking when deleting and moving to trash so that inadvertent deleting files is not possible
  8. Slick-greeter is part of the packages UB maintains - this has now been updated to the very latest available. So check that all is well.
  9. lightdm-settings (the companion to slick-greeter) is part of the packages UB maintains - this has now been updated to the very latest available. So check that all is well.
  10. All the backport packages have now been rebuilt for groovy - both amd64 and arm64 architectures Testing 20.10 - only for the most adventurous
  11. Both nemo-share and nemo-dropbox backport packages have been rebuilt from the upstream v4.6.0 package
  12. For new accounts/new installs, gnome-software no longer autostarts. This reduces the memory desktop usage by approx 100-150Mb. You’ll see an autostart entry in your autostart list - don’t worry, this is just to stop the autostart running for budgie-desktop - but runs correctly for GNOME Shell/Unity desktops.

Areas to look out for

1. gnome-software has now had all of the Ubuntu specific snap patches removed - it is much more vanilla now. Look out to see the impact of these changes

I’m feeling groovy! Seeing an error and not from the ppa. My main source list shows up as not secure though updates are installing just fine. It’s very early and I’ll just wait it out .

| Distributor ID:|Ubuntu|
|Description:|Ubuntu Groovy Gorilla (development branch)|
|Release:|20.10|
|Codename:|groovy|

1 Like

Panel applets and a few other updates trickling in. One little issue with software sources not reloading, so I’m leaving it alone for now. I’ve seen this early in the development cycle before. Using a new daily build.

Upcoming budgie desktop testing is now available through our unstable PPA

This is for 20.04 only. See the first post Desktop changes for a summary of changes

When I tried ubuntubudgie-dev/unstable-test, I can’t log in anymore. When I enter my password, the screen briefly flashes then takes me back to the login prompt (GUI). If I drop to the terminal and purge the ppa, I can now log in correctly again. In /var/crash, it looks like it is “/usr/libexec/gnome-session-binary --systemd --builtin --session=budgie-desktop” that is causing the crash. Any suggestions? Where should this be reported?

I should also add this is on a fresh install of 20.04 on a real machine.

Ah. The key is a fresh install. Yeah. It’s a cleanup of a patch that has gone awry. I will fix later today

EDIT: update made - tested on a fresh install and the desktop appears correctly now. Thanks for the report.

Desktop

• when hotplugging or hotunplugging an external monitor (secondary screen left of primary) to a laptop, after dynamic readjustment of the display setup, budgie left panel is fully extended vertically (i.e. into the top panel), I can’t see my top icon anymore. In other words, dynamic screen readjustments mess up budgie left panel config.

• Option to maintain Raven on left side if a left panel is on automatic/intellihide. Currently, the behaviour is raven on left for fixed panel, on right for automatic/intellihide

• Wobbly windows (absolutely love them)

• Panel auto/intelli/hide in general (“between” two screens) should have a small and customizable hard resistance on panel position screen edge, to be able to trigger the panel more easily instead of having the cursor immediately on the other screen (Unity did that well).

• With panel intellihide
    '- when maximizing a window on secondary screen (located left of primary), the left panel on primary screen should be visible (instead of hiding as the current behaviour)
    '- if the focus is on an unmaximized window on secondary screen (located left of primary) and a maximized window is open in primary screen, the left panel on primary screen should be autohiding until trigger. Current behaviour is that it appears (over the maximized window).
    '- These 2 issues do not occur with the automatic mode

• With automatic panel mode
    '- The panel should be pushed away into autohide when a window gets close (works with intelligent auto hide)

It’s impossible not to get one of these issues depending on which mode you pick.

Applets

• Ability to disable/enable applets (in budgie-desktop-settings) without losing position, config, etc… A glider similar to Gnome extensions, or a checkbox, whatever. If you reenable it, it comes back where it was. Currently, you can only add them or remove them.
  • Ability to customize colors of icon task list active/open apps color
  • Badges on icons in Icon Task List (Download progression in browser, Nemo transfer progression, number of emails unread in email-clients)
  • Pixel Saver should have the empty bits of the top bar “grabbable” in order to grab & release to an unmaximized window state. Same as Unite Gnome extension. Currently, you need to click on the window title to unmaximize it or on Supper + ctrl + arrow.
  • Pixel Saver should not be activated when maximizing a window in the non-primary screen (title bar is merger into primary screen top bar and your maximized window is left incomplete on secondary screen.

If some of these are bugs rather than wishes, please tell me where to introduce them and I would indulge gladly.

This is a known budgie issue that I’ve seen others mention before - not sure if its upstream - but should be.

This is an upstream wishitem

I really don’t!

This is an upstream wishlist

This is an upstream wish item

Guess this is a theme issue. If you are referring to something more dynamic then definitely an upstream wishitem.

Sounds like a nice idea. No idea how to implement that though.

Specific to PixelSaver - wishlist item and I encourage everyone to help here

Specific to PixelSaver - wishlist item and I encourage everyone to help here who has multiple monitors to test and develop with.

When you say “Upstream wishitem/wishlist”. Does that mean I have to report a proposal there?

And for Pixel Saver or Icon Task List, “wishlist item” is for here or I need to report it somewhere too?

From your reactions, since I’m quite new to the discourse forum (new user of the month btw :sunglasses:) I’m not sure what my next steps should be.

1 Like

Upstream is https://github.com/solus-project/budgie-desktop

You need to carefully check if your issues aren’t already covered by the outstanding issues there.

Our fork of Pixelsaver is here (the original maintainer no longer is a budgie user)… but note … the UB team are not doing enhancements… only ensuring that it compiles for each new distro version. this needs to come from the community

Following the raising of this topic .deb packages open via zip file manager by default we will now ship with a defaults file extension file - i.e. what app that should be opened when you double click a file e.g. file.txt should open with our default text editor GNOME edit.

This will resolve the raised issue of .deb files not opening in gnome-software by default.

This will also resolve picture based files (png/jpg etc) should be opened in our default viewer gthumb

We do need confirmation that our mapping of file extension types map and open correctly by our default apps. please help us to confirm this.

1 Like

Will it be a hard dependency for Budgie on Ubuntu or just a file installed when installing Ubuntu Budgie?

I wouldn’t want it to override one that already exists for example and change all my current default apps.

Anything local will always override a global setting such as this file

Does fixing some translation issues fit in here ?

One is about app-menu/parameters, the other’s about « disconnection » notification.

Fun fact, the « connection » notification is correctly displayed in my language.

…and a print screen key that does not get broken every now and then…

1 Like

Translation issues can only be resolved by translators of the project in question.

As to print screen. I haven’t ever seen it broken. So a method to reproduce this is the only way to resolve.

Not really new → Screenshot shortcuts not working (by default?)

For some days or a couple of weeks, the print key does nothing on my UBudgie 20.04.

Well to be honest, most of the time it does nothing ( expected is : save full screenshot to folder ).

I’ve just noticed there were also settings for screenshot and keyboard under /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/ that were different than in /com/solus-project/budgie-wm/ or Parameters/Keyboards.

It’s quite a pain to have to check 3 different places for just one feature…

and

Having same settings in these 3 places seem to fix my issue for the moment.

Another annoying thing is, for months / years maybe ? screenshot seems unable to apply dropped-shadow straight to a window, it adds twice a dozen pixels all around the targeted window. That did not and still does not happen in Unity 16.04. I’d expect something like :

grossly made in Gimp.

Yeah. Both are upstream budgie issues.

I have never understood why upstream insist on having the screenshot keys under the solus dconf umbrella. It just causes confusion all round.

Screenshot issue has always been an upstream issue. Again,this needs more work to make the screenshot app work correctly under budgie

“Samedi 1 août” in your clock applet feels completely weird as well by the way. “1er” would look better.

It’s like saying “Saturday one August” in English.

Never paid much attention to that, but you’re right.

I don’t know if that clock can handle some « exceptions » as in English - if I remind correctly - any day number is always ordinal ( 1st of month, 2nd of, 3rd, 4th and so on ) so it’s not written because it’s always like this ( c’est sous-entendu quoi, donc pas besoin de l’écrire ) ?

French may need one graphical exception for the first day of the month, 1er ( premier, first ) instead of 1 ( un, one ), where er are superscript/exponent, in any clock ( not only in applet ).
All other day numbers are all cardinal.

It’s a digital clock, just like your phone. So I see on my phone Mon, 3 Aug