This topic is intended to capture early testing of 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla). Note for 20.10 suggested enhancements please use this thread
- April 30th - Aug 27th - development
- Aug 27th - Feature freeze
- Oct 1st - Beta Testing
- Oct 15th - Release Candidate
- Oct 22nd - Final Release
If you have spare hardware (or a virtual machine or two) and don’t mind regularly reinstalling when (and I mean WHEN) 20.10 eats your installation then feel free to give your feedback here. Early testing will improve the final release
Please use http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/ for testing ISOs (just click the relevant links and there’s guides as you navigate the site)
Packages and hardware are meant to be tested also using QA trackers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/Tester
As the above page shows, probably the best way to get stuck in with testing is run Ubuntu 20.10 (either download or upgrade from 20.04 with
update-manager -d ) as often as possible for usual tasks (bearing in mind that one’s productivity and data may be hampered by bugs on 20.10!) and reporting bugs with
ubuntu-bug package-name as you go.
Alternatively, there is always a huge backlog of bugs that need to be triaged (i.e., progressed towards being fixed), head to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad for a guide on getting started with that!
Use this query to see if your testing issue has been highlighted by others first before reporting.
This first post will be updated with the latest important info - so you don’t need to trawl through the posts. Remember - everything listed below is subject to change/removal and should not be used as indicative with the beta & later release.
Applets and mini-apps
For Ubuntu Budgie applets these can be tested via our daily PPA for both 20.04 & 20.10:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily && sudo apt upgrade
- Hotcorners: Option added to configure hotcorners via budgie-desktop-settings and therefore hide the icon from the panel
- Dropby: Applet settings now has the ability to display the USB window notification in any corner you define
- Dropby: Animation when copying media so that you now when copying is in progress/finished
- Dropby: Crash reports resolved when second user account uses dropby on same machine (to be backported to 20.04)
- Application Menu: Touch Screen friendly - can now swipe on your touchscreen
- Application Menu: Better keyboard navigation from the search to categories etc.
- Application Menu: Search bar changes position to the bottom when on a bottom panel
- Application Menu: Hide the large number of Settings menu icons shown in the grid view and the System Tools category menu - its more elegant this way - use the search capabilities to find Settings options like bluetooth and sharing etc.
- Application Menu: In a similar fashion the logout/restart/suspend/shutdown icons have now been removed. Search actions are now available for these + the ability to “lock” the screen when searching and “hibernate” if you have enabled hibernation separately
- Application Menu: Mouse rollover capability in the category view is now available via applet settings
- Previews: auto close when app loses focus (to be backported to 20.04)
- Previews: enable/disabling the capability is now dynamic - there is no need to logout/login
- Previews: Multiple Libreoffice windows are previewed correctly to allow switching (to be backported to 20.04)
- Network: left/right panels do not have a large space when applet placed in end section. (to be backported to 20.04)
- Network: VPNs listed are now alphabetically sorted to make things easier to find the right VPN (to be backported to 20.04)
- Brightness Controller applet: Fix to make slider actually work. Should now work against a GNOME 3.36 base (to be backported to 20.04)
- Window Shuffler - enable/disabling the capability is now dynamic - there is no need to logout/login
- Welcome Layouts - global menu occasionally crashes the panel when using cupertino/theone layouts. For these we now re-enable the nemo menu - for other layouts we hide the menu (remember to use Alt to show the menu) (to be backported to 20.04)
- Make distro friendly: Some distros don’t use some stuff located in /usr/bin and other file locations. We have now reworked the vala applets/mini apps to compile to user-defined system locations (i.e. via meson --bindir --sysconfdir --prefix --libdir)
- Countdown: This applet is now vertical panel friendly with icons and text respecting the space available on vertical panels (to be backported to 20.04)
- General: Latest translations from the Transifex team - more help wanted https://www.transifex.com/ubuntu-budgie/ubuntu-budgie-extras (to be backported to 20.04)
- Enforce asking when deleting and moving to trash so that inadvertent deleting files is not possible (to be uploaded)
- Patch created to allow you to choose which screenshot app to be invoked when pressing Print, Ctrl Print, Alt Print - dconf-editor is used to change the app (to be uploaded)
- Being a good contributor - we have upstream’d to the budgie-desktop project several 20.04 patches we have developed (Wnck crash, gnome-shell/budgie-desktop conflict as well as the ability to define the print button screenshot app)
- Arc-Theme has now been updated - the maintainer has changed to https://github.com/jnsh/arc-theme. The theme now has an additional theme called Arc-Lighter. Do give some feedback especially about anything budgie related to the new maintainer - do give thanks to the new maintainer taking on this challenge.
- Paper-Theme updated to the latest upstream version
- Pocillo-Theme - all the deprecated SASS code has been fixed. This future proofs the theme. Any help - large or small is welcome. Join the UB team by becoming the pocillo theme dedicated maintainer! https://github.com/UbuntuBudgie/pocillo-gtk-theme
- QogirBudgie-Theme - all the deprecated SASS code has been fixed. This future proofs the theme. Any issues - please raise to https://github.com/vinceliuice/Qogir-theme
- Extras - rename “Applets” to Extras to better reflect the types of things that can be installed
- Extras - Instructions on how to enable applets after install displayed immediately next to the install button when invoked.
- Extras - All window previews to be uninstalled
- Themes - Corrected picture sizing to be identical for all themes
- Themes - Allow users of the vimix makeover to install individual parts
- Themes - Latest Upstream Paper theme has now removed Paper cursors - so rework to remove this from makeover
- Getting Started - point to the correct YouTube video for Shuffler
- Getting Started - Corrected 20.04 keyboard shortcut to launch Shuffler
- Getting Started - Added Brave Browser to the browser ballot (to be released)
- General - Latest translations - more help wanted! https://www.transifex.com/ubuntu-budgie/budgie-welcome