Testing 20.10 - only for the most adventurous

Each language has its rules.

Maybe English has an official digital dictionary.

Digital or not, french date format implies 1er as shortner for «premier / first », « un / one » is never told neither read neither written in a date.

And my ( android ) phone read Samedi 1er Août 2020, as expected.

think we need a french speaking dev to look at the code here and help craft the correct rules.

ah no worries - found the rules here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13627308/add-st-nd-rd-and-th-ordinal-suffix-to-a-number

Raised this if anyone is interested in helping to implement https://github.com/UbuntuBudgie/budgie-extras/issues/351

In german it is much easier: After every number you have to set a point “.”, like Montag 3. August

Hi,

having about nothing to do, I’ve tried to install Budgie Groovy on a brand new VM provided bu a 50 Gb virtual disk.
First, I’ve noticed that pressing spacebar is useless and that iso seems to start as it does for uefi systems, nevertheless I’ve left vdisk partition table in “msdos” mode and noticed that installer creates anyway a grub partition and a EFI one without asking. Then as soon as it arrives to grub installation, it fails to install it.
I’ve re-done the job creating on disk a gpt partition table but the song remains the same [quotation needed :wink: ]: as soon as it comes to grub installation, it fails.
I’ve chosen to use the whole disk … etc, so maybe is something depending on my choice, I’ll give a try from “other” choice and partition VD by hand (I’ll let you know how it will go) but I’m asking myself (and asking you): if “uefi-like” setup is now a standard, what about older PCs?

Sil

[EDIT]: I’ve tried partitioning VD by hand: it asks for a EFI partition, regardless of partition table. This means, if I’ve correctly understood, that 20.04 is last Ubuntu release allowed on non-uefi PCs? What a pity!

What date is your daily iso? Yesterdays iso has an important fix to allow grub installs on a legacy bios (non uefi)

I’ve downloaded it yesterday at 4:30 pm CET+DST (2:30 pm zulu time).
Now I’m going to lunch: I’ll start new iso download and let you know.

Thanks,
Sil

@ puffettacicciottella

What tool did you use to create the virtual machine? Did you set it to boot in UEFI mode or BIOS mode (alias CSM alias legacy mode)?

Please notice that the Groovy iso files boot via grub also in BIOS mode now.

no way: created msdos (legacy) partition table and empty disk (from gparted inside iso) but i get only what you can see in attached picture.
It starts anyway in efi mode; btw I’ve right now downloaded new iso from cdimages.ubuntu.com

Sil

Please report this issue via the live session … I.e.boot into the live session, attempt to install

Then run

ubuntu-bug ubiquity

It works for me to install the current Budgie Groovy in BIOS mode in VirtualBox.

I let the installer [overwrite and] use the whole drive.

See the following screenshots,

[After] installing:

Installed system:

1 Like

All - all the applet/mini app section changes have now been uploaded to 20.10 as v1.0.90 beta 1. Please do check these carefully on the very latest daily.

Our team wallpaper changes are now available. Enjoy.

QogirBudgie theme has now been refreshed - the focus highlight colour as requested by the community has changed from Ubuntu Orange to Standard Blue.

So if you don’t mind me asking, because I have become so used to them on 20.04, any idea yet if the Pocillo-Tela icons will be coming to 20.10? I have a clean install using the 20.10 daily image, and the PPA doesn’t currently work for Groovy, so I find myself missing them.

Yeah. We decided not to persue Tela this cycle because we are unhappy with the quality of the panel icons.

Our preferred solution would be to create a hybrid of Qogir icons with Tela … replacing all the Tela panel icons with Qogir panel icons.

We have talked to the upstream maintainer but unfortunately no progress to date. Given there is less than two weeks to the freeze date there is unlikely any chance to make any progression unless someone rapidly wants to take up the challenge.

1 Like

QogirBudgie theme has now been refreshed - the focus highlight colour as requested by the community has changed from Ubuntu Orange to Standard Blue.

That is so sad.

But is orange still available ( and for 20.04 too ) ?

Nothing will change for 20.04. We are talking about 20.10 and the out-of-the-box QogirBudgie theme.

For any variant such as Orange highlight, decoration shape, logos etc, the theme can be installed manually.

All,

all the budgie-desktop changes outlined in post 1 are now in 20.10 - currently sitting in proposed but will pushed to universe after the archive automated tests are completed - normally within a day or two.

This is v10.5.1+git20200715

Please do give this version a good test - many thanks.

We now have a mojave gk theme/icons and font make-over (menu - budgie themes). Do try and let us know what you think. This has also been backported to 20.04

1 Like

Hi,

sorry for replying so late but I was abroad (vacancies … now finished and back on job :frowning:)

I’ve tried the same way (full disk, automated, msdos partition table) and noticed that it creates anyway an efi partiton: does it mean that if I choose to partition my disk by hand I must create a grub and an efi partition?

Thanks,
Sil

Please use this thread for observations about this - the ubuntu devs who are making this change monitor this topic https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/groovy-to-use-grub2-for-booting-installer-media-in-any-modes-on-all-architectures/16871