Testing 20.10 - only for the most adventurous

Hi Sil,

You are right, (also for me) the installer creates a GPT (GUID partition table), a bios_grub parttion for BIOS mode and an EFI system partition for UEFI mode by default.

If I understand correctly, only one of these partitions is used when booting, so it should not be necessary to have the EFI system partition, when you boot in BIOS mode. But I have not tried to create partitions manually and I have not checked if we must create both of them when creating partitions manually with the ‘Something else’ option in the installer.

I guess that it is still possible to install Ubuntu and the Ubuntu flavours in an MSDOS partition table, and then the grub ‘extras’ will be in the unallocated space behind the MBR and partition table in the first mibibyte, so there is no [need for a] bios_grub partition. If you wish, you can work through a few test cases with manual partitioning, for example:

• BIOS mode and GPT
  • UEFI mode and GPT
  • BIOS mode and MSDOS partition table
  • UEFI mode and MSDOS partition table

and share the results with us :slight_smile:

Best regards
Nio alias sudodus

Wow! I am impressed. This looks really good. Thank you very much for backporting the Mojave theme to 20.04. As a longtime Mac user I got so used to the look of OS X / macOS that I just couldn’t resist. I had to try out the new theme immediately. My first impression is extremely positive. The theme and the icons are very well done and the font Roboto is a real highlight. However, as I find it difficult to get used to the preferred use of dark themes (but maybe I’m just getting old), I changed the widgets to Mojave-light-solid and the icons to McMojave-circle. There will certainly be some bugs in the Mojave theme, but for now I have to say that this theme suits my Ubuntu Budgie very well.

1 Like

Hi Nio,

it seems that is mandatory, I fear. Here my tests results

1. bios mode, msdos pt, “use whole disk” option leads to a working vm with grub and efi partitions
  2. bios mode, msdos pt, “Something else” option, grub and efi partitions kept from previous #1) installation leads to a working vm with (grub and efi partitions and) a 30 Gb / and a 50 Gb /home
  3. bios mode, msdos pt, “Something else” option (30 and 50 Gb / and /home partitions as above), no grub or efi partitions leads to a warning after partitioning (see screenshot #1) and a fatal error as soon as it comes to grub installation (screenshot #2).

I’m imagining that, efi or bios, it pretends an efi partition anyway … really a strange behaviour!

Sil

EDIT
I’ve also tried to install as in test #3) above but adding, during installation, first a bios_boot and a efi partition before creating / and /home (see screenshot below)

1 Like

Thanks Sil,

for checking out this. It is useful knowledge in order to avoid hiccups when doing manual partitioning :slight_smile:

All,

our backport packages have now been rebuilt for groovy. In the case of nemo-share and nemo-dropbox they are the latest v4.6 from upstream.

The following packages are now available in groovy to retest - they can all be installable via budgie-welcome:

ant-theme - 1.3.0-0ubuntu1~focal
budgie-browser-profile-launcher - 2.1.2-0ubuntu1+build1~groovy
budgie-calendar-applet - 5.2-0ubuntu1+build1~groovy
budgie-cpufreq-applet - 1.0.3-0ubuntu1+build1~groovy
budgie-haste-applet - 0.3.0-0ubuntu4+build1~groovy
budgie-lightpad-applet - 0.0.2+build1~groovy
budgie-pixel-saver-applet - 4.0+git20200313-0ubuntu1+build1~groovy
budgie-screenshot-applet - 0.4.3-0ubuntu5+build1~groovy
budgie-sys-monitor-applet - 0.1.2-0ubuntu1+build1~groovy
com.github.libredeb.lightpad - 0.0.8~rev2+build1
evopop-gtk-theme - 2.9.99-0ubuntu2
indicator-sysmonitor - 0.8.3ubuntu1
mcmojave-circle - 20190923+git20200822-0ubuntu2
mojave-gtk-theme - 20200324+git20200822-0ubuntu1
nemo-dropbox - 4.6.0-0ubuntu1~groovy
nemo-share - 4.6.0+dfsg-0ubuntu1
paper-icon-theme - 1.5.728+git20200312-0ubuntu1
skippy-xd - 0.5.1~am20161020-1+build1~groovy
vimix-gtk-themes - 20.04+20200224-0ubuntu1

I’ve noticed that Canonical have dropped all their snap patches from gnome-software.

Ubuntu itself ship the snap version of gnome-software called “snap store” - we don’t.

So please do test gnome-software in groovy to see the changes and feedback your thoughts.

On virtual box, kernel 5.8.0.16 gives black screen after budgie login. Dropping down to 5.4.0.42 work fine.

Please file a bug report

ubuntu-bug linux

Thx

Just upgraded 20.04 minimal via sed command and other than having to manually install an Nvidia 390 module for kernel 5.8.0.16 all went well. I had switched to LTS after moving this summer and am ready for testing again.

1 Like

I did file a bug report #1893489. Interesting, I installed GDM3 and then changed from LightDM to it. It would boot fine with the 5.8 kernel. I did not use wayland

I am using qemu and all works fine.

So it sounds virtualbox specific

1 Like

Saw this report https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Oracle-VirtualBox-6.1.14

Seems kernel 5.8 support has just been done by Oracle.

Suggest grab this point release and see if this resolves matters.

2 Likes

All - beta 2 of our applets are now available as an update.

Just tweaks and tucks:

• fix crash with previews when there are no windows running
  • application menu handles fractions better e.g. 5.3 x 0.5 in the search bar
  • lots of translation updates
  • Window Shuffler - with sticky neighbours turned on, focus correctly returns to the current window
  • Application Menu - Category view - styled as a sidebar now.

It’s the same in Spanish, it says “Miércoles 9 septiembre” and a more correct way would be “Miércoles 8 de septiembre”

Thanks David, the new VB fixed the problem.

… ahhh … the big one. Budgie Desktop with mutter GNOME 3.38 now in the 20.10 universe repo. Just a regular update needed.

I don’t think this is a real issue, but I figure I’ll mention it anyway. I get this on 20.10 when compiling schemas, but not on 20.04:

No such key “show-nm-trayicon” in schema “com.solus-project.tray” as specified in override file “/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/10_budgie-network-manager-applet.gschema.override”; ignoring override for this key.

Is this a self compiled budgie desktop or is this a clean install and/or upgrade?

Clean install, but maybe something I did… The only schema i compile on it is the one for my clock, I purposely haven’t made any other changes on it or compiled anything else to keep it fairly clean for testing…

But it doesn’t happen on my 20.10 VM, so all signs point to me I guess. I’ll try a fresh install later and see if it happens still.

Getting repeated installer crashes with a message regarding grub failing to install. The installation completed and runs perfectly. I have uploaded the crash report. At first I thought the installation failed and tried again, but the OS was already installed. ???