Testing 22.10 - Are you brave enough?

This topic is intended to capture early testing of 22.10 (Kinetic Kudu).

** The primary focus for this development cycle is the integration of a new suite of applications

22.10 Schedule
22.10 Release Notes (Ubuntu)

If you have spare hardware (or a virtual machine or two) and don’t mind regularly reinstalling when (and I mean WHEN) 22.10 eats your installation then feel free to give your feedback here. Early testing will improve the final release

Please use http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/ for testing ISOs (just click the relevant links and there’s guides as you navigate the site)

Packages and hardware are meant to be tested also using QA trackers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/Tester

As the above page shows, probably the best way to get stuck in with testing is run Ubuntu 22.10 (either download or upgrade from 22.04 with update-manager -d ) as often as possible for usual tasks (bearing in mind that one’s productivity and data may be hampered by bugs on 22.10!) and reporting bugs with ubuntu-bug and ubuntu-bug package-name as you go.

Alternatively, there is always a huge backlog of bugs that need to be triaged (i.e., progressed towards being fixed), head to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad for a guide on getting started with that!

Use this query to see if your testing issue has been highlighted by others first before reporting.

This first post will be updated with the latest important info - so you don’t need to trawl through the posts. Remember - everything listed below is subject to change/removal and should not be used as indicative with the beta & later release.

Applets and mini-apps

For Ubuntu Budgie applets these can be tested via our daily PPA for 20.04/21.10, 22.04 & 22.10:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily && sudo apt upgrade

1. Lots of updated translations from our brilliant translators Log in · Transifex

Budgie Desktop & Budgie Control Center

For Ubuntu Budgie the latest upstream budgie desktop and budgie control center can be tested via our daily PPA for 22.04 & 22.10 if you want the very (very) latest stuff straight from upstream:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-desktop-test && sudo apt upgrade

1. Sharing capabilities in BCC have been revamped - screensharing can now be performed via both RDP & VNC
  2. Fractional scaling support has been enhanced - backported to 22.04
  3. Lots of wacom support updates made in BCC
  4. color profile support in BCC reworked and only supported if the monitor used itself supports color-profiles
  5. BCC Displays show the monitor refresh rate
  6. Applets can now be globally spaced rather than needing individual spacers
  7. Refinements to the workspace applet
  8. Clock applet no longer displays a link to a calendar application
  9. Complete reworking of the Budgie in-built theme
  10. Icon-tasklist applet no longer supports non-grouping of apps
  11. v10.6.2 of budgie-desktop is now on the ISO.Upstream has full details as to what this consists of:
    Budgie 10.6.2 Released
  12. In addition I have added our native screenshot capability - look for the icon in the menu - or just press print screen / alt print screen etc etc.
  13. I’ve added the ability to use the “preferred style” option in budgie-desktop-settings desktop so that you can set the dark-light style of those GNOME 42 & libhandy based apps. This latter capablity will evolve as upstream works through various issues in this area.
  14. IBUS handling has been revamped to resolve the wrong keyboard layout on logon. This needs careful testing especially for those that use multiple keyboard layouts.

Raspberry Pi

1st August 2022 Alpha 1 release ubuntu budgie - Browse /budgie-raspi-22.10 at SourceForge.net

Budgie Welcome

Our welcome app is automatically updated for all 20.04, 21.10, 22.04 & 22.10 users

1. Lots of updated translations from our brilliant translators Log in · Transifex
  2. Our Backports is now complete - testing of budgie-welcome recommendations/themes and applets/getting started is needed.
  3. Menu Option and welcome page changed from “Budgie Themes & Layouts” to “Budgie Makeovers & Layouts” to present a more accurate overview of the capability.

Themes

1. Orchis Gtk Theme has been update to the latest upstream version. Note - upstream has changed its name convention for each variant & colour. So on an upgrade you have to manually change your theme name when you re-add the backports PPA
  2. Pocillo Gtk Theme has the following fixes:
    fixes for styling mate-system-monitor
    fixes for styling atril pdf reader
    fixes for styling mate-calculator

Additional

1. Pulseaudio is no longer our default audiostack. Pipewire is now the default. The package pulseaudio can safely be purged.

Areas to look out for

1. Our default applications have been revamped - This is described fully in this post Default applications review for 22.10 / 23.04 and beyond
4 Likes

The Lightpad PPA needs updating . Thanks !

yep - budgie-welcome and the associated backports needs a kinetic update - we’ll do that in July/August once the key underpinnings are available in the official repos.

Thanks for the info ! :slightly_smiling_face:

If Ubuntu Budgie 22.10 is installable on a C2D intel CPU then I am BRAVE ENOUGH!

Orchis Gtk Theme has been update to the latest upstream version. Note - upstream has changed its name convention for each variant & colour. So on an upgrade you have to manually change your theme name when you re-add the backports PPA.

Sound muted and breaking up after updates and restart on 6/18/22. Using the pipewire ppa.

Might be this Bug #1979113 “Kinetic sound disappeared after today updates” : Bugs : pipewire package : Ubuntu

I saw the bug on UF this morning, but I did not entirely loose sound and the report made no mention of the pipewire PPA.

The ppa is just pulling in the same packages as ubuntu. We havent yet decided to make the move from pulseaudio to pipewire, so observations such as yours will inform our eventual decision in the next few weeks.

I’ll add my name to the bug then. Thanks for the replies.

Problem resolved after second reboot a day later . No other action required.

1 Like

Trying Mate calculator and it uses my theme and works with the global menu.

Pipewire is now our default audiostack. The pulseaudio package can now be safely purged or preferably reinstall using todays (28th June) daily iso.

An early drop of ubuntu-budgie-welcome is now available - will be part of todays daily ISO and is just a snap refresh away.

Still to-do will be changing descriptions and other details for the revised default apps - once they land in the repo.

Obviously where welcome references PPAs - they may not yet have included 22.10 versions as of now.

v10.6.2 of budgie-desktop is now on the ISO.
Upstream has full details as to what this consists of.

In addition I have added our native screenshot capability - look for the icon in the menu - or just press print screen / alt print screen etc etc.

Lastly - I’ve added the ability to use the “preferred style” option in budgie-desktop-settings desktop so that you can set the dark-light style of those GNOME 42 & libhandy based apps. This latter capablity will evolve as upstream works through various issues in this area.

The switch to theme friendly apps is now underway and is included in the latest daily ISOs

This is described fully in this post Default applications review for 22.10 / 23.04 and beyond

As always - testing is needed to ensure capabilities are fully working under budgie and to capture any default theme issues.

Please to say that our first alpha raspi image is now available ubuntu budgie - Browse /budgie-raspi-22.10 at SourceForge.net

I installed a new daily build and noticed the gnome-control-center was was still present . Is it OK to remove ?

Yep. Safe. It is a recommendation on gnome-bluetooth. I have raised a bug report on debian to change that recommendation, but until it is accepted, it will still be installed … just not visible via the menu.

1 Like