This topic is intended to capture early testing of 20.04 (Focal Fossa).
- Oct 25th - Feb 27th - development
- Feb 27th - Feature freeze
- April 2nd - Beta Testing
- April 16th - Release Candidate
- April 23rd - Final Release
If you have spare hardware and don’t mind regularly reinstalling when (and I mean WHEN) 20.04 eats your installation then feel free to give your feedback here. Early testing will improve the final release
Please use http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/ for testing ISOs (just click the relevant links and there’s guides as you navigate the site)
Packages and hardware are meant to be tested also using QA trackers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/Tester
As the above page shows, probably the best way to get stuck in with testing is run Ubuntu 20.04 (either download or upgrade from 19.10 with
update-manager -d ) as often as possible for usual tasks (bearing in mind that one’s productivity and data may be hampered by bugs on 20.04!) and reporting bugs with
ubuntu-bug package-name as you go.
Alternatively, there is always a huge backlog of bugs that need to be triaged (i.e., progressed towards being fixed), head to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad for a guide on getting started with that!
Use this query to see if your testing issue has been highlighted by others first before reporting.
This first post will be updated with the latest important info - so you don’t need to trawl through the posts. Remember - everything listed below is subject to change/removal and should not be used as indicative with the beta & later release.
- Desktop Menu - we are thinking about making available a stylish new menu applet - Details
- Network Manager Applet - soft fork now included in budgie-extras - Details
- System Tray applet now dropped as a default - it is buggy and the network manager applet is now/intended as a default - Details
- At the same time - added the ability to not run network-manager applet - this ensures the buggy system tray icon no longer appears
- Multiple desktop layouts - Details
- Budgie Themes & Layouts - individual parts of the make-over can be performed e.g. just the theme, icon etc Details
- WallStreet - new lightweight wallpaper rotator every x minutes - Details
- Windows Shuffler - Reworked shuffler with additional capability - Details
- Budgie Desktop 10.5.1 - Latest version of budgie desktop with new capabilities - Details
- Ubuntu Budgie desktop wallpaper competition - thanks for all the entries and the winners
4. Multi-monitor panels - need testing and feedback for possible multiple panels across monitors - Details TBD
- Budgie Extras Translations - number of applets have now display translations in the following languages & locales - please confirm/update translations where necessary - https://www.transifex.com/ubuntu-budgie/ - all translations incorporated into the extras daily PPA to test with ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily
6. Cloud sync budgie settings - can be used to restore - Details TBD
- Latest version of Qogir gtk theme - Details
- Latest version of vimix theme available through Menu - Budgie Themes & Layouts
- “Login Window” aka lightdm-settings has received a sizeable update - Details
- New applet budgie-visualspace-applet - a stylish compact workspace switcher - Details
- F12/Workspace switching/disable of event sounds and cleanup of budgie-desktop-environment - Details
- HiDPI (4K) support for Budgie applets (both in built and third-party) and their popup functionality - Details
- Fix for shortcuts mysteriously going missing - need your help to confirm - Details
- Fix for multimonitors to stop windows overlapping the top-bar when maximised - need your help to confirm all panel positions and scaling options - Details
- Switch from qt5-style-plugins to qt5ct for QT app styling - apps such as vlc - Details.
- Dropby applet makes a reappearance as a default panel applet - Details
- Application Indicator applet - don’t show missing image icons for google hangouts extension i.e. Chrome/Chromium have now removed appindicator support - the extension from google has still to catch up
- Weathershow applet - Display temperature correctly on vertical panels
- All welcome themes made available for Focal users - need a confirmation that all is well - Details
- All welcome applets made available for Focal users - need a confirmation that all is well - Details
- Support large global menu in budgie-desktop panel - Details
- Whilst we have decided not to ship DesktopFolder (the desktop icons replacement for Nemo Desktop) a new version is available for the LTS - Details
- Fixed budgie-desktop bug to allow custom layouts that includes left & right panels.
- Preparing mutter 3.36 compatibility for budgie-desktop - https://github.com/solus-project/budgie-desktop/pull/1918
- Celluloid has now replaced gnome-mpv
- Samba has been removed as a default install
- Moka based icons revised to capture GNOME 3.32/3.34 and hopefully 3.36 changes - details
- GNOME Software Updates tab has been hidden - it doesnt really work and the recommended update process is via Menu - Software & Updates
- Drawing is now a default application - Details
- Papercut - uninstalling default applets now no longer uninstalls the Ubuntu Budgie desktop environment.
- GNOME Firmware is now a default application - Details
- Seamless desktop-to/from-android phone transfer - we now ship with go-mtpfs by default Details
- Tweaked budgie-pixel-saver-applet to correctly handle displaying Titles/Titles & Buttons/Buttons
- Latest Nemo Share & Nemo Dropbox are available and need testing - Details
- Budgie Desktop now includes a patch developed by myself hopefully to reduce the number of crash reports you see on first logon.
- Note: GNOME Upstream have now removed the split of Application Menus from the Window menu. So for Budgie this means there is no separate “Application” icon in the decoration to show the appmenu. Appmenus are now combined in the Window menu.