For 20.04 LTS we are looking to support multiple desktop layouts - so we need your help.
If you like to customise your panel(s) and desktop this is your chance to get involved!
The only real ability you need here is an eye for detail … and to take a few screenshots. No really - its that simple!
- “windows 7/10”
- “Mac OS” aka Cupertino Multiple desktop layouts - help needed
- “Unity 7”
… and anything else
The following instructions will install the test layouts functionality - the GUI will come later. Its best to use a spare VM - and out 19.10 PPA has the necessary fixes for the “Unity 7” layout.
If you are using 19.10 -
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/eoan-test && sudo apt upgrade --> use this to grab the Unity 7 fixes
For 18.04/19.04/19.10/20.04 -
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily && sudo apt dist-upgrade
run in a terminal:
python3 /usr/lib/budgie-extras-daemon/invoke.py layoutname
layoutname can so far be used:
Let me know your thoughts
- Please use 19.10 or 20.04 - suggest use a new user account so that you can use the default clean setup rather than your current customised version.
- you can only propose to use applets found either in the ubuntu repositories or our budgie-extras-daily PPA - DO NOT use backport PPA applets.
- You can use our new applications-menu if it fits your proposed layout
- if you want to use a workspace applet then default the number of workspaces to two … and please use only our new visualspace applet (budgie-visualspace-applet) found in the daily PPA (ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily)
- Use Pocillo theme + Pocillo icons + default wallpaper i.e. the default look and feel
- You should not have anything on the desktop - remove showtime applet and weather applets etc. Remember the picture will be used in budgie-welcome - so it needs to be clean and good quality.
- Come up with a name for your layout that isnt trademarked i.e. we can’t call the layout “mac os” … or “windows” - obviously it needs to be meaningfully associated
- Take a full desktop screenshot and paste here in a post (one post per layout) - make sure the menu applet is open when you take the screenshot
- Take a screenshot of budgie-desktop-settings - panels - obviously we need to understand how you created the layout i.e. what applets, in what position etc If you use spacers and other tweaks and tucks we need to understand what values you changed.