Multiple desktop layouts - help needed

My memory is probably failing me… I thought the “start” button was on the side panel just below the top-panel?

For 20.04 with the global menu fix we can now put it on the left of the top-panel.

Didnt unity 7 have some-sort of trash can at the bottom of the side panel?

Hey, I am willing to get a Unity clone but:

• Does UB have a Trash applet?
  • Can Icon Task List be manually resized? To make the icons a decent size with the panel, I have to keep it’s size at 101 when 89 or so is much more unity like.

Yes - budgie-trash-applet

No - will have to use what comes out of the box. So rather than a fat Unity panel just use a standard budgie panel size.

Ah, something like @Coeur-Noir’s?

Looks like a good start!

Great, I’ll get to work right away :stuck_out_tongue:

The trash applet is super small with panel size 54 (an acceptable size):

I thought the “start” button was on the side panel just below the top-panel?
→ you are correct but I never liked that in Unity

For 20.04 with the global menu fix we can now put it on the left of the top-panel.
→ I read that and it’s nice. But on actual LTS Budgie, center position prevents from truncating menu.

Didnt unity 7 have some-sort of trash can at the bottom of the side panel?
→ you are coreect again :wink: But Budgie applets can’t have same size icons as launchers so I put places, recent and trash all together at top of the panel.

In order to really mimic some of Unity’s features, an app menu with acces to recently used files AND app’s AND places would be most welcome.

1 Like

Another thing; CSD apps don’t work with Pixel Saver!

I will try to find some time to backport the 20.04 panel fix into 18.04.

This is a layouts capability … not really trying to implement the same functionality capability.

This is a layouts capability … not really trying to implement the same functionality capability.
→ I’m totally ok with that :wink: Hence my choice of applets and their position to get something useful but not totally pixel-perfect with Unity.

CSD are evil, lol. Or CSD could be OK if all windows for all app’s were with CSD, then maybe we could get rid off of the top panel, somehow.

Good point about at least having access to similar capability. So agree with you, they should reside on the side panel.

reside or resize ? :slight_smile:

All - I’ve now sketched out the main capability and is ready for testing. the instructions are in the first post.

Please let me know your thoughts

The correct one is Multiple desktop layouts - help needed - Window buttons are on left on this one.

I will try it, which layouts did you use? Did you use any of mine? I’m really interested in contributing to 20.04 :stuck_out_tongue:

I didnt have the menu applet open and I deleted the user :frowning:
I can do it again, or you can do it yourself if you have the time.

I’ve created layouts very similar to everyone that has contributed. You can see the layouts in /usr/share/budgie-desktop/layouts

The left/right buttons is still to be implemented - early days! Thanks for testing.

Nice! theone gives me an empty desktop on 19.04 -no panel, no plank.
I prefer UbuntuBudgie :slight_smile:

theone requires the latest budgie-desktop update from the eoan-test PPA

Great, can you answer my questions about

• Trash applet
  • Pixel Saver w/ CSD

Panel applets dont size with the panel. That is by design. The exception if the menu applet and icon tasklist. Dunno why … upstream decision.

Pixel saver cant work with CSD apps … would be daft to since the capabilities of the app are invoked from the CSD