Hi! My system is not in good shape

Hi!
Something really wrong with my system. Can I somehow revert the system files back to original? The places where ubuntu searches for update etc… More information follows:
I made some changes to a system file, something that has to do with how dpkg or something searches for packages I added some PPAs and stuff, should not have been messing with that. The package management on the system is really in bad shape. I need to reset some of theese settings, any ideas on how to revert this system back to earlier status and shape?
Also, thunderbird application will not launch. The synaptic package manager gives me an error message that say: E: dpkg was terminated. You need to run «dpkg --configure -a» manually to correct the problem. Only thing is that I am scared of doing just that, because I don’t want to hard my system any further. What will that command do, and should I do it? Also, budgie welcome, budgie extra will not run… Anymore… :cowboy_hat_face:
Thanks to everyone that takes their time to help others in here. You guys are amazing!

• Sigurd

You will need to let the package management system complete its activities, so run

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Don’t reboot after this completes.

Now run

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

Any warnings or errors reported?

If ok - then double check you have a valid install of ubuntu budgie still installed

sudo apt --reinstall install ubuntu-budgie-desktop budgie-desktop-environment budgie-desktop budgie-core

That will reinstall any missing ubuntu budgie packages.

You can then reboot.

when doing the sudo apt update:
eil:39 http://ppa.launchpad.net/t-tujikawa/ppa/ubuntu focal Release

So, some error there but now I am doing the last one, the step 3 you posted and then I will reboot and log onto this forum again and we’ll see. Thank you for the replymate

I ALLWAYS get this error thou:
libdvd-pkg: apt-get check failed, you may have broken packages. Aborting…

After doing the steps above, I can only log onto my system with Ubuntu with Wayland and budgie I am not able to log on to. This looks bad. How can I make a fresh budgie on this system now or WHAT DO I DO?!? sorry for caps,… but really, what am I going to do?

To completely uninstall what came from a ppa + revert back to initial official packages + remove such ppa :

sudo ppa-purge ppa:t-tujikawa/ppa

This ppa has nothing available for your version of ubuntu, as can be seen here :
https://launchpad.net/~t-tujikawa/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
…last update was in 2013

Do you use other ppa ?

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

What is the actual state of your « global » sources.list :

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Hi!
I went to a drastic measure perhaps but I think a good one.
Found a more reliable SSD disk that also has more space and did a fresh install after
backing up my most important files.
I am happy to say that it works smooth now :smiley:
So, I remember having those problems after installing apps. I am a bit worried about Thunderbird
If Thunderbird has any known issues now then perhaps someone know of it. Maybe that there is an even better mail client I can use?

Thunderbird is fine.

Note for later : if you need ppa, first check they’re maintained, have been recently updated and do propose packages for your version of Ubuntu.