Hibernation works, but no UI

So after some fiddling i got hibernation to work on 19.04 (short pause and clap on the back). Actually it was not that terribly difficult which makes me wonder why this quite essential functionality is not enabled by default, but that is another topic.
In short, sudo hibernate works from the command line, meaning the system wakes up/resumes correctly.

So now i want/need a UI for this. But when i “Hibernate” in the user indicator, it does not hibernate and then boots fresh when started. I have tried to find out what it actually does when that option is pressed (including reading budgie-desktop code), but could not.

And there is no “Hibernate” option in the what do do if power button is pressed drop down.
I have reached the end of my limited skills and would appreciate help.
Thanks

Think you also need to make the polkit changes to allow the user indicator hibernate option the rights to hibernate

I tried that and it didn’t work. I have no idea how to determine why not.
Do you have actual experience that this would work on 19.04, because for example those files/directories mentioned in that post don’t exist.

PS: I also tried to change lid close to hibernate eg http://tipsonubuntu.com/2018/04/28/change-lid-close-action-ubuntu-18-04-lts/
but that too just reboots. Just like the hibernate in the menu.
It seems that all these mechanisms use something else than the hibernate command which works.