How to get Budgie to hibernate properly?

I’ve pointed it to a swap partition in fstab, reinstalled initramfs-tools and updated initramfs which reported the correct partition and uuid.
When selecting hibernate option, system sleeps rather than switching off entirely. However, this sleep is different - the lights stay on rather than blinking away. An improvement in my opinion. How can I keep it like this for sleep, and also get it to hibernate properly?

Agreed here on a Lenovo E590 notebook its not hibernating, its sleeping. Shut lid seems to hibernate however.

I wonder if it works properly on any kind of machine? Hibernating is grown-up stuff. If hibernating works out of the box then I consider it to be a mature distro!

Ubuntu deliberately have changed how installs occur to simplify the installation and to reduce dramatically the number of failures due to partitioning issues.

The side effect is that hibernation will not work out of the box I.e. you have todo stuff manually… Hibernation under linux never has really worked … it’s a manufacturer issue who never follow good recognisable power management in their firmware code. It’s always buggy in the majority of cases.

So do not pass the issue to linux and any distro. Look at who you buy from and if they fully support linux in general.

Can we call the Asus EEE PC a linux-friendly machine? I have an almost embarrassing number of these machines, from 7 to 10 inches and everything in between.

Where are the help forums and tutorials for fixing hibernation in modern ubuntu variants please?

“Linux friendly” is quite undefined in your question. Looking at Ubuntu Budgie, it is a Linux distribution with very modest requirements. At the same time, you need to keep in mind it is a full blown desktop. The requirements for Ubuntu Budgie you’ll find here.

For general Ubuntu questions: https://askubuntu.com/ or https://ubuntuforums.org/

I don’t see the logic here. What have these minimum system requirements got to do with weather or not my machines hibernate?
An eee pc with 0.5GB of ram and a 900mhz atom processor runs Debian mate just fine and runs LMDE Cinnamon without too much trouble.
I can’t tell you how 32-bit 18.04 ubuntu budgie runs on them but you can be sure I’ll try it soon enough,
I tried a netinstall of 18.04 with budgie desktop and lost interested when networking failed to work out of the box when it could manage it fine from a 63MB mini.iso for the install.
That’s just lame, surely?

That is below the minimum spec for Ubuntu Budgie both in terms of RAM and processor. Its not a supportable combination.

Comment from Jacob is really pointing you to existing Ubuntu forums for generic questions such as hibernation.

I’ll be installing it on an eee pc with 2GB ram and a 1.6Ghz dual core processor.
It won’t easily fit on the lower spec machines - 4GB ssd!