How to modify a Budgie theme?

I have always used the Pocillo theme. One of the things I noticed when I migrated from 20.04 to 22.04
was that theme action buttons, top right, changed. Whereas on page load, the 20.04 close button on page load was purple, on 22.04 it was dark gray. To mitigate this, I copied the 20.04 Pocillo to the 22.04 theme folder and renamed it. For the most part, this has worked well.

With 24.04 on the horizon, I thought I would take a look at the other themes and see if I could fix them to have the rounded purple close button. I looked at the QogirBudgie theme and am trying to figure out what gtk.css selectors to change.

So, here is my questions;
How does one find out what selector names control what display object?
Is there a dev environment for themes that makes this whole process easier?
I looked at the BudiesofBudgie web site but nothing pops out to me.

I would think if the theme has the purple button you mentioned and it was not always showing like it should after the update you may want to make sure you have the latest version of the theme as changes in the DE would have required the maker of the theme so adjust for those changes.

For your question to making changes manually to a theme there are some apps for that, I have not used them my self but if memory serves me correctly the below link should give you what your looking for. Allot of good info on theme creation/modding. Hope that helps.

Helpful info

Thanks, very helpful link.

Your very welcome. :grinning: