How to use Screenshot Applet?

Hi. I’m new to Ubuntu Budgie, but not Linux or Ubuntu. I’m trying to figure out how to do a screenshot on my Acer 7550 laptop. I’ve pressed the PrintScr button, but nothing happens. I’ve gone into keyboard settings and set the Save to Pictures folder setting to Meta+PrtSc/SysRq button. All I get is a beep, but no pictures can be found. I’ve installed the Screenshot applet, but…How do you use it? I can’t find it, even though it shows as being installed.

Using UbuntuBudgie 18.04. Everything else seems to be working beautifully!

Did you by chance do the minimal install?

Can you run sudo apt install gnome-screenshot and then try again?

1 Like

Hi @bashfulrobot. Yes, I did a minimal install, and after installing gnome-screenshot, things worked perfectly. I still don’t see the widget, though. It’s not in the panel, and I don’t see it listed in available applets to add. However, this does work! Thank you!!!

The screenshot applet that is a completely separate thing from gnome screenshots. If you want to install it, you can do so from the welcome screen. Are you familiar with that? If not, let me know and I can walk you through those steps. Then, once you have the app lets installed, you will need to log out and log back in before you can see them to add through the budgie settings menu item. Also, if you have a look on our blog, I wrote a Blog article about how minimal is too minimal. You may want to have a quick look at that. Some people find the minimal install a little too minimalistic. The blog post walks you through how to build up the minimal install to the budgie base experience.

1 Like

Sorry, I miss read your original post. I see that you have already installed the screenshot applet. What you need to do is from the menu you will see a menu entry for budgie desktop settings. Launch that application. Then select the panel option on the left side. Then under the app lets heading there will be a green plus arrow. Press that and then you can scroll through and select the appropriate applet. Once it has been selected, you need to log out and log in for it to be active.

1 Like

Hi again, @bashfulrobot. That worked, as well. Thanks. I had attempted to install it through the Budgie Desktop Settings, but apparently the Welcome App is the way to go. Thanks for pointing out the minimal post, and I’ll definitely look into that. As soon as I logged back in, I was greeted with a bunch of Budgie Backport updates. LOL I guess trying to trim the fat using minimal wasn’t the right way to go after all. Good to know, and I’ll get caught up with the rest after I’m done with updates.

I really appreciate your help on this. I’m really loving this distro!

1 Like

Glad I could help!! Stoked to hear that you are happy with it.

1 Like

Ran into similar issue, just used Autokey-GTK and made a script

import os
os.system('/usr/bin/gnome-screenshot -a')

Please don’t use os.system() anymore. It was old fashioned and deprecated since ages.