Icons Missing since 20.04 update

Since upgrading to 20.04 my Nightlght and Plus/Minus and many more icons have been replaced with space holders?

any ideas how to fix this - it looks a but naff…

Looks to be an issue with the icon theme you are using. The author if the icon theme is probably your best bet for advice.

@Bear-Essentials Hello Dear… :hugs:

I Always Prefer You To Make A Clean Installation Of UB 20.4 I Dont Like To Upgrade… LOL

Did you try switching between “default” icon themes and others ?

Did you re-install eventual third-party icon theme ?

User side, added third-party ( icon or shell ) themes should be found inside
~/.icons
~/.themes
or
~/.local/share/icons
~/.local/share/themes

If installed for all users, third-party components themes end in
/usr/share/icons
/usr/share/themes

Thanks! i just switched between two defaults and they came back!

I’m using the Paper icons, I thought it was one on the default packs? Can you give me any pointers as to how I can find out who the author is?

thanks! the icons are part of the evopop theme. Am i right in thinking the theme will pull them from the same source (git-hub).

The package was from February - I’ve just sync’d it from the last commit in March. So you will get that as a package update in an hour or so.

oh does that mean i dont have to contact the author? like a sudo apt update? (sorry im exceedingly new to all this, i want to contribute but i understand very little at the moment)

No need to contact the author unless you want to help contribute with fixes etc

update-manager or sudo apt update will get the package update.

1 Like

Heya

Is this an issue on my side?

Preparing to unpack …/paper-icon-theme_1.5.728-202003121505~daily~ubuntu19.04.1_all.deb …
Unpacking paper-icon-theme (1.5.728-202003121505~daily~ubuntu19.04.1) over (1.4+r692~daily~ubuntu17.10.1) …
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/paper-icon-theme_1.5.728-202003121505~daily~ubuntu19.04.1_all.deb (–unpack):
trying to overwrite ‘/usr/share/icons/Paper/cursor.theme’, which is also in package paper-cursor-theme 1.4+r692~daily~ubuntu17.10.1
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/paper-icon-theme_1.5.728-202003121505~daily~ubuntu19.04.1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hmm… ok upstream broke something. Will have a look soonest

1 Like

ok - fixed now:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Mmm… Old habits remain. It’s
sudo apt full-upgrade
nowadays

Hello everyone,

I had the same issue, everthing is working fine since the package update.
Fix it with :

apt update
apt upgrade

Yeah … grey hair … old habits

oh i did dist upgrade and it worked! whats the difference?

Thanks so much for sorting it out!

No difference between dist-upgrade and full-upgrade.

Same action, just a name change for avoiding confusion, as dist-upgrade may have been taken for a distribution version upgrade.

Though there is difference between upgrade and full-upgrade
⋅ first will only take care of each more recent package,
⋅ second will take care of each more recent package + their more recent dependencies.
…so second sounds more « complete ».