Installation Questions

So, I have a 2006 Lenovo G570. It is currently set up as a dual boot machine: Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10. I have been wanting to upgrade the Ubuntu partition, but have been waiting for a good opportunity to do so. Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 presents that opportunity. But, I have two ideas with a few questions.

First, can I do a clean install of UB18.04 on the U10.10 partition? Will I need to make any changes manually to GRUB, or will the upgrade/install do that for me? Should I expect to have to do anything else? What about the swap partition? I’m arriving at these questions thinking that if I install off of the DVD, I’ll simply select the U10.10 partition for it to install to; is there something else I should consider?

Second, if I were to decide to use the entire HDD for UB18.04, no longer dual booting, can I do that from the installation DVD or should I do some partition editing of some sort first?

I’m not sure, yet, which I want to do, though I’m leaning toward keeping it a dual booting machine. Nor am I sure when I’ll find the time to do this, but I am really impressed so far with what I’ve seen of UB18.04, so I’d like to do this at the earliest chance I get.

Thanks!

My apologies, a 2010 G570.

Second question 100% sure you can do with the default iso (both x64 and i386).

First can “probably” be done easy with same iso too, you can boot it and when it comes for formatting/partition, select option “other” and take it from there. Nothing is made final at that point until the system clearly shows it to become final.

Me personally I would use the “try before install” option, manually change the 10.10 ubuntu and it’s companion partitions to simply blank space. Then open installer and choose “other” use the blank space. That way should “mess” with windows the least. Keep in mind that in some cases you need to setup GRUB properly after the install for it to be nice with both Windows and Ubuntu.

Hope this helps so far.

Suggested tool to use:
Gparted (included on live disk) https://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=help-manual#gparted-delete-partition

More in-depth guide:
This is made from a windows 10 point of view, I haven’t used Windows since XP/SP3 but have read the article and it covers everything you should know (and then some). Keep in mind that Ubuntu Budgie has different layouts for some things in gParted and other tools, but just follow the text and you should be fine :slight_smile:
http://www.linuxhostingprovider.com/how-to/how-to-install-ubuntu-18-04-dual-boot-with-windows-10/

1 Like

Thank you. I was hoping and thinking that it would generally be pretty easy to do either, but I also want to be as prepared as possible for doing them. At the rate that the rest of life is going right now, by the time I get the time to do this, 18.04.1 will probably be ready.

I have never done anything to setup GRUB before–I’ve only the one machine that I dual boot, and it’s worked as I’ve needed as installed–though I suspected that I would have to in this process. It’s getting to be time to look up how to do that.

Honestly, as your time is limited, this is my suggestion:

• Either use UNetbootin, or use the app Electron-Etcher to make a bootable USB with the .iso file from Ubuntu Budgie. Both have Windows/OSX/Linux installers.
  • Once the USB is made, boot from it, choose install rather then preview and wipe entire drive for a clean install.
  • When asked, don’t pick minimal but go with default install, you just wiped 2 OS’s, plenty room :smiley:
  • Make (me) a cup of coffee
  • Reboot and when welcome screen comes, take 10 mins to click on some stuff that tickles your interest, like changing theme or checking out default applications. These 10 mins there will show you more then any of my posts can do, reason for existence sort of thing.

You endured my bold text, here are helpful links because who’s got time to Google/DDG stuff these days.

UNetbootin: https://unetbootin.github.io/
Electron-Etcher: https://electronjs.org/apps/etcher

Budgie ISO: https://ubuntubudgie.org/downloads

If any of the replies solved your issue, please leave a reply.

Certainly, wipe entire drive is the easier of the two, which is why I’m considering it. I’m just waiting for some good time off from work to do this; I’d like to get it done and usable in one sitting.

I’ve used UNetbootin before. I’ve already got the .iso (burned to DVD).

So, two weeks later, and I ended up getting a new laptop (a deal I just COULDN’T pass up) and installed UB on it. I’m not dual booting; I’ll be using VMs for any Windows applications I need to use.

1 Like

I have a laptop HP Compaq 6715b and I want to install on it Ubuntu Budgie LTS 18.04 i386 but it asks for a “login” and a “password” before being able to install it. Do you know what the “login” and “password” I should use in order to install it? If you could help me, I’d be very grateful.

When you see a login and password this is an indicator that either the iso that has been downloaded is corrupt or that the sun or DVD write has gone wrong.

Check the md5sum value of the iso against the published value. Use a different usb stick. Try a good writer such as etcher.