KDE related programs OK?

( just an idea : LibreOffice Draw can open pdf and allow editing them, beware fonts as usual. )

Running Linux at home and work for ten years or more, I’m also kind of frustrated regarding pdf « advanced features ». You will be able to annotate in Evince or Okular, but they won’t export those annotations « inside » pdf. It’s ok if everyone around you is using Evince or Okular, which is never true, of course.

Pdf is not an open-source format. Its advanced features are not open, only the core features have been made publicly available. Therefore these became standard, but all other bells and whistles belong to Adobe…

I thought about it a little while and decided to test with Mate 19.10

Everything works great with Master PDF Editor. Opens fast, no copy issues. I didn’t expect this result.

So in the end here I have purged what caused Master PDF Editor to open slow in Budgie, which did not help Foxit (but that’s OK) and that is I guess not present in Gnome or Mate? And whatever is causing the copy issue in both doesn’t seem to be 19.10 related. So whatever is causing that is maybe Gnome 3 related??? I have been away from linux a long time. So I haven’t been a follower of what has happened since Gnome 2. So I am dumb as a box of rocks on this.

When the latest mutter and budgie desktop arrives in 20.04 I will ping you to test on that daily build.

OK I will keep an eye out for that.

Thanks as always.

The ISO dated today (2020-03-02) will have the latest window manager and budgie-desktop for your testing activities.

Should be available approx 16:00 UTC.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-budgie/daily-live/current/

Thank you, I am downloading it now.

Both Foxit and Master PDF Editor open quickly.

Unfortunately both still have the copy issue in the 20.04 daily build :frowning:

I am not sure how to help. Is there anything I can have a look at in the system to help?

Then I believe you are affected by this bug - please click the “it affects me” link https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutter/+bug/1852183

quoting an old post… but now that I am using UB as my only OS for a while, I can say LibreOffice Draw has not helped me add text, mark a checkbox or fill in a PDF form. Not a single time :frowning:

There is always something completely messed up. All text is outlined beyond the white page area, if you save it, thats it, the whole right side of the page is missing. Or the layout is just not the same as the original, making it unusable, even if I can add text, its not an option since the document is messed up once you open it.

I haven’t found solution. Master PDF Editor free edition adds a watermark. The paid version is ridiculously expensive.

Wine+Foxit Reader is probably best (Foxit for Linux is horrible). But I haven’t tried.
For now I use https://www.pdfescape.com/ unless the size is too big or something, then I try LibreOffice Draw and otherwise I do it on my smartphone.
PDFescape is the most user friendly pdf editor ever btw…! And I haven’t seen a watermark.

Foxit for Linux is great but definitely not on high DPI screens! :sweat_smile:

I’ve been using qpdfview lately. Although, as the name suggests, it’s not for edition. I can’t help you with that.

I saw it mentioned above, but Evince is the first thing you remove post-install. It’s not even good enough for basic use.