Made a new and better description of my problem

I keep constantly getting “file system is read-only” messages when doing stuff.
The user I am working with has a “lock” when I look at users. I can unlock this with a button.
After the disaster happen from time to time, when I log out I have to reboot.
Then I have to run recovery mode and do a fsck /dev/sdc6 manually and fix alot of inode problems.
I cannot be using this system as is because I keep loosing the setting I make and apps I install.
What can help? How do I either fix it if someone knows what the problem is, Programs are failing
installations are not working… Ohh i feel totaly hopeless!
set the file system to read/write, use any utilities or a setting to change that I don’t know about?
Please only serious answers that either help me or fix the problem.
Thanks again, and sorry for resent posts that was not so well described. Hope that this will help
make clear what the problem is and detailed enough for someone to figure out the problem.

Sounds like you have a global permissions / rights issues.

Let’s hope it’s only user side, and not system wide.

Please post here outputs of these commands :

ls -la /home
ls -la /home/your_actual_user

…of course replace your_actual_user by your real user’s name.

Let’s also see if there’s enough storage available :

df -Th | grep -v loop
df -i | grep -v loop

and a picture of your different partitions ( set terminal in full screen before issuing this command ) :

lsblk -fe7

These are first steps to better see what your system looks like.

Now some questions :
⋅ did you ever launch graphical applications from terminal, using the sudo command ? Things like sudo nemo or sudo gedit or sudo any_windowed_app ?
⋅ did you ever try to change anything regarding rights and permissions on some files or folders, using command like chown or chmod with or without sudo ?

We could see that with :

history | grep -Ei '(sudo|chown|chmod)'

Please post here those different outputs between 3xaltgr7 marks, for readable formatting.
And let the terminal prompt visible ( it looks like name@machine:~$ ).

No, the system was a fresh install after a reinstall and I still got the same problem. No chmod or anything like that. Now I have a fresh installation but on a new SSD with more space. Let’s hope that works.

( another ) note for later : when someone suggests commands and asks questions, someone expects you to post outputs of these commands and answer the questions :wink:

You did re-install meanwhile so that should fix the situation. But if things go wrong again, we might need reliable information given by ( those kinds of ) commands outputs.

Enjoy your new installation !

1 Like