Non "Fast Boot" read-only W10 partition

I asked this on the official Ubuntu support forum but got no answer.
my question is on how to fix the issue where, when trying to move or paste files from a Ubuntu 20.04 partition to a Windows 10 partition shows the message: “Error copying to «directory» the destination is read-only”.

I can open files but not delete them or move them between directories within the same partition.

I have already tried:

Disable Windows 10’s Hiberation “Fast Boot” (wasn’t even active, but I checked again and found it already disabled)
Using Nemo (shipped with Ubuntu Budgie), choosing “Properties” on the partition, and changing the permissions (and applying them to all files) from GUI. But although it seemed to be working on it, after a while it stopped and the permissions were back to what they were. As if I did nothing.

What else can be done in this case? I would like to be able to use the secondary partition as if it was my main hard drive with full permissions.

As far as I understand the new kernel includes an ntfs driver that allows you to read files at near native ext4 speeds.

It doesn’t allow you to write ntfs files.

There is work going on in the kernel development arena to get a read write capability but that’s very much a discussion point at the moment.

To get a read write capability you have to use the much slower fuse based ntfs-3g package.

I haven’t used that for many years so am not familiar how to configure it but hopefully that gives you info info where to look further.

Fuse has worked well for me w/ dual boot

docs

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
1 Like

Thanks! I installed it and told me it was updated, as if I already had it?
Anyway, it hasn’t worked, I try to move files and it keeps teeling me it’s read-only.
I don’t know how, but I had Ubuntu MATE before and there it worked. Is there another thing to do? I keep searching for ubuntu forum questions but it all is about the “fast boot” issue.

I’m really frustrated, I have no idea what to do :frowning:

Hmm, well, not sure…
So this is still giving read only?
mkdir mount_ntfs && mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/<sdb#> mount_ntfs/