Map SMB share with read write access

Hi all,

I’ve been a lifelong MacOS user, but have decided to make the move to UbuntuBudgie. I thought my first adventure into the new would be moving a media server from Mac to Budgie. anyways… programs installed, when I access them via the browser and try to point to a media folder which is on a network drive.

1st try - I mount the SMB share via network (using smb creds) it’s on the desktop but am unable to access it while trying to add media folder via browser - in macOS I’d just navigate to /Volumes/SMBshare

2nd try - I did the following:

• installed CIFS utils w/ sudo apt-get cifs_utils
  • created a mount point w/ sudo mkdir /media/macmini_raid
  • created a credentials file in ~/.smbcreds…
  • then mounted with :
  • sudo mount -t cifs -o rw,vers=3.0,credentials=root./smbcredentials //serverIP/sharename /media/macmini_raid

i’ve also modified my etc/fstab. everything mounts, it’s just read only. So I can access it but the program won’t add it since it needs r/w ability

here’s what I added to fstab

//192.168.254.161/macmini\ raid/ /media/macmini_raid cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=077 0 0

If I open files, navigate to /media/macmini_raid and open as root I have r/w permission but obviously that doesn’t do the trick.

I googled, and found about 12 different slightly different ways to do this. I’ve tried them all and have had no success. So here I am.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome

This is a generic issue that readily applies to all Ubuntu flavours. As such the wider Ubuntu community can help as well via

askubuntu.com and ubuntuforums.org

Out of my hat, quickly…

While dealing with smb, many things can go wrong.

Credentials : these are the ones expected by the samba server, hear an already existing user known by the samba-server.
How is your samba-server configured regarding security ? I think nowadays the lowest is at « user level » requiring at least an id + pwd for each potential user.

fstab : maybe it’s not a problem but I thought the « space character » should be replaced by /040 and not by \{space}

//192.168.254.161/macmini/040raid/ /media/macmini_raid cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=077 0 0

I’m not either sure of your file_ and dir_ modes, I’d expect 0644 for files and 0755 for dir’s.
And if you actually wrote 077 for dir_mode, you probably « block » any action from user on those dir’s so maybe an explanation ?