My Ubuntu Budgie is Eating Storage

before I had to reinstall Ubuntu Budgie because it just had no more space to use the system on my SSD (24GB), but now it’s eating storage again! Before it was about 10GB, after a while it was getting 9, and now it’s 8. How can I solve it?

Please can you describe your installation in terms of partitions?

if you have your home and system folders on the SSD then it could be both user space issue as well as system based issues e.g. browser cache and other stuff vs standard system updates

Lets assume you’ve got the home folder on another disk and just the root partition on the SSD. In this case the only reason why storage will be nibbled at is standard updates.

Updates are releases made via the repositories or via snaps/flatpaks if installed.

Updates via repositories keep a cache of old deb’s e.g. up-to 3 versions of kernels. This is normal so that you can rollback to older versions

Similar for snaps (e.g. budgie-welcome) - there will be up-to 3 versions held.

My system is like this: my / is on ssd, and my / home is on HD, there is another partition called ext4 that when I installed the system it created it automatically, did not modify anything, but it is existing, I also found that if it was because of the updates but I don’t know how to reverse it so they don’t get too heavy

Occasionally you can run the following to cleanup old updates:

sudo apt autoclean
sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

If you are desperately short of space then you can delete old kernels via this Q&A

But I would normally say to let the operating system handle that for you.

Since Ubuntu 16.04, old kernels are taken care by the regular updates of system. No need to try what’s recommended in that askubuntu thread - which was ok for Ubuntu version before 16.04.

If you use programs packaged in snap or flatpak, remember those monsters do need much more storage than their good old deb/apt counterpart.

So any time possible, prefer the deb version of a program, from the official apt repositories of your distribution. Use snap or flatpak for programs only available in those stores.

Thanks for the valuable tip!