Proposal for a new menu applet for the desktop

One thing I observed is that in the App Menu, in the category ACCESSORIES I have only listed about 5 application, while in the Menu Editor there are about 25 in the same category.

None of the not listed ones is marked as hidden in the Menu Editor.

The Text Editor, for example, is not marked as hidden in the Menu Editor, but it doesn’t appear in the list of applications in the Accessories category. Same happens with Stacer.

When I set an application as hidden in the Menu Editor, and again unhide it, it appears in the Accessories category of the App Menu.

Is this expected behavior?

Again - not reproducible here

Very, very strange.
Would you mind giving it a shot on 19.10?

Not reproducible under 19.10

Quite weird. In the meantime, I set up an elementary VM and installed GNOME Maps as well as Budgie Welcome on it.

Maps does show up in the app list. It can also be searched for using the localized French name, but bears its English name in search results. The default elementary stack, though, is localized in search results.

Regarding this non-localized search thing: it may be worth noting that Albert launcher, which I’m using on Ubuntu MATE, is also unable to find some applications (though not all of them) when the search uses localized names.

As for Budgie Welcome, it doesn’t show up at all in elementary’s launcher.

Please report this elementaryOS observation on the elementary issue tracker - GitHub - elementary/applications-menu: Applications Menu for elementary OS and the Pantheon desktop environment

That’s an interesting observation about budgie-welcome on the elementary launcher. I’ve got an elementary VM as well. I’ll try to reproduce this.

I’ve reported it: https://github.com/elementary/applications-menu/issues/341

Apparently the translation issue had already been reported previously, it might have something to do with the default file manager:

That doesn’t sound right at all. That reply doesnt appear to be a developer statement. Think your observation is still valid.

IMHO existing menu is fine with PgDn scrolls to next page and so on.

BTW is it just a Lenovo thing, or is PrtScrn not working in Budgie?

Try fn + PrtScrn if applicable.

Thinking more about the menu. I like whats working now. But what could improve it is a new item on left = Recents this would be the default menu.
Description: Recents would show an aggregated list of most used, recent apps that are NOT in the dock. Afterwards would follow the alphabetized list of All.

As an aside, mouse cursor keeps changing indiscriminately.
Currently I only have 2 problems with Budgie 20; the not autologin, and cursor.

What do you mean by that? What is happening? Can you pin it down when it happens?

Nice idea. Would be a nice little project if someone wants to dip their toes into development

Mouse: I have no idea, but it always changes into a corner icon eg when your mouse has the ability to expand a corner of a window. Mouse remains perfectly useable, just the corner icon and sorry have no idea of what starts it. Disclaimer if Im the only one; dont worry about it.

I totally agree about the recent app’s category. And I’d even expand it to recent files and places as a default view.

An app menu is of course useful but once your main applications have been favorited / starred / pinned ( in dock or panel or elsewhere ) and as long as you don’t install new app’s, when / why do you use such a menu ? I’d rather have a menu for my « activities » ( not in the gnome/kde meaning ).

Regarding recent app’s there might be another way : why not create into icon-tasks-lists an area for recently used app’s ? There user might set how many icons to display and this area would automatically ignore icons for already pinned app’s… Let’s call that a « dynamic » icon-tasks-list.

This is intended, mouse cursor shape changes to « show » you when you can grab the corner of a window. And gets back to its « pointer » shape when you move away from the corner of a window. I think mouse-cursor has always behaved this way…

Yes, but its not intended to remain in corner mode wherever the mouse is located or didnt I read my own OP properly?

My bad reading / understading :wink:

Of course, the cursor should not stay in « corner mode » all the time.

Did you change ir try with other mouse-cursor theme ?

Any nvidia graphics involved, with their according proprietary driver ?

no to both.

i did a synaptic update today, Interesting the tray notification advised of multiple software updates, Software then showed none, but Synaptic showed many. This is ongoing with Software.

Noticed this: when using this new menu with session action buttons (log out, lock, suspend…), clicking on “log out” does not open the “confirm log out” window on top of the menu. The window opens but unfocused, behind the menu. By contrast, all other buttons which require a confirmation (that is, shut down and restart) give focus to the confirmation window and close the menu.

The latter is IMO the desirable behavior. Right now, to log out, it is necessary to click a second time somewhere on the screen to close the menu and access the “confirm log out” window. This is a very very minor problem, of course.