Question about DM

Hi,

just a question about Budgie DM: I have to set up an old but light pc to be used mostly in text mode to connect to Cisco switches when happens to go on campuses far from our office (that’s why it must be light, I hold it in my bag); usually connection to switches comes via telnet or via serial cable (that’s why it must be old, even if now I’m using a usb-serial interface).

So I want to set it up with mini.iso (ubuntu network distro) but sometimes I need to get access in graphical mode too, do I thought to install also Budgie minimal on it.

Now the question is: since I don’t want my “mini-laptop” start with any DE, if needed I can start it with startx, is correct installing budgie-core and budgie-desktop to have a minimal distro and then removing lightdm (or whatever DM Budgie uses) to have laptop statring in text mode?

Thanks and have a nice weekend.
Sil

Budgie-desktop installs budgie-core plus some additional packages

https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/budgie-desktop

My guess is you can install budgie-core and install all of the dependent packages listed in the above link with the exception of lightdm

I have never started budgie via the command line … so I have no idea how you would do that. So if you manage it please let me and everyone else know how you get on. Thx

Hi,

task accomplished :smile: and here’s how.

First of all I’ve installed Ubuntu from netImage (mini.iso); being lazy I’ve selected (also) Budgie Desktop from tasksel: at reboot, obviously, laptop started directly in graphical mode, so from terminal I removed lightdm (NOT purged). At next boot it came up in text mode but, trying to launch DE with startx, I got an error.
Googling a bit I’ve found the solution: in my home I created a .xinitrc as follows:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
[ -x “$f” ] && . “$f”
done
unset f
fi
exec budgie-desktop

then at next startx Budgie was up. For coming back to text mode, just end session.

More, since I was interested in getting connected to wifi (sometimes, mostly in libraries, there’s only wifi), I’ve built a new connection to my home wifi in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections but I had troubles connecting with nmcli so I’ve removed (moved, being honest) wrong connection file, switched to Budgie again, graphically connected to my wifi, re-switched to text mode and this time nmcli let me connect to home wifi (btw, comparing two connections files, the wrong one and the right one, I’ve found that the problem was due to a couple of typos :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:).

This morning I’ve installed, configured and tested vpnc for getting VPN access and tomorrow I’ll try to get access with nmcli to a 802.1 wifi (PEAP/MSCHAP) and will let you know.

Happy sunday,
Sil

1 Like