Raven Calendar (or clock/calendar app in panel) showing all Evolution appointments and tasks

Okay then we will see how it will turn out :slight_smile:

Just being curious, why do Ubuntu flavors prefer the Debian-maintained ayatana-indicators over the Ubuntu-maintained ubuntu indicators? Ubuntu Mate changed to ayatana, Xubuntu too.

Wouldn’t it be more logical to go with the components that are provided by the own main distribution, which they depend on? Or are there technical advantages (feature wise)? But you said they are basically the same.

Ubuntu’s version hasn’ seen any development since approx 2012. Canonical maintain it by virtue just checking it compiles with each new distro release. At the end of the day - if it works… it works - which it does.

Ayatana development - all though slow, does seem to have fairly steady updates since they forked the project. As to what the updates are … dunno - need to investigate. At the moment I’m not sure if we can definitely move to ayatana - they may have specifically linked it to XFCE/Mate. That’s part of the investigation.

well I use Ubuntu Budgie like it is the best one so far. I started using microsoft edge a while ago and the features they are adding great. I can even use Microsoft word and etc online using edge. I installed extensions which are very safe to use. One of the extension is Outlook which can definitely help you.

Having Outlook in a web browser has nothing to do with the integration I meant, so that would not help. There isn’t any difference switching from whatever I do to a browser or directly to Evolution.

The integration I meant makes it unnecessary having to switch applications, rather to quickly view appointments and tasks in an overlay panel like Raven.

Hi there,

I think I have solved this for you. It needs a tweak to one of our applets called budgie-indicator-applet - + you’ll need to create an autostart file

I can create a quick PPA for this - please let me know what version of Ubuntu Budgie you are using and I’ll create a build for you to install & test with.

1 Like

Oh wow really? I am eager to try that out then! I am using Budgie 20.04.3.

It honestly surprised me today reading your reply today. Thank you so much for your efforts and for taking your time looking into this! Outstanding! :heart:

1 Like

okey-dokey

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-datetime
sudo apt upgrade

This will install a new version of our budgie-indicator-applet built for focal
Next install the following package that Canonical maintains.

sudo apt install indicator-datetime

Then using budgie desktop settings - click the autostart tab - + button then choose Add command

Copy paste the command:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-datetime/indicator-datetime-service

This will ensure that the above application run on logon.

Next, logoff and login

Assuming that you have the budgie-indicator-applet on your panel you should see the indicator datetime in your panel

Let me know how you get on - you can configure this via the options shown in dconf-editor (you can install that package)

I’m hoping the integration with evolution still works.

Looks great on the pictures you sent me, thank you so much! Looks exactly like the Mate version! I have done all the steps, but on my top panel I cannot see a “budgie-indicator-applet”.

There is App-Indicator on my panel. But that one isn’t showing any time/date. I checked, and saw that “budgie-indicator-applet” is installed on my system. But when I try to add it to the panel, I cannot see it in the list of stuff I could add. Any suggestions to get this added?

I found it… but it is suffering of the same bug like the Mate version.

I set the default calendar to Evolution and after the next login it was visible, but only for a few moments. A few seconds later, it disappears again. I had this when using Mate too. Came out of the blue.

There was a thread I found about this, but no solution yet. Seems it is not Mate-related then, since the bug is present in this one too then.

Obviously it crashed. I found this thread https://askubuntu.com/questions/1341333/indicator-datetime-service-crash-ubuntu-20-04

I checked my /var/crash/ directory and indeed it crashed.

ProblemType: Crash
Architecture: amd64
CrashCounter: 1
CurrentDesktop: Budgie:GNOME
Date: Sun Oct 3 20:09:53 2021
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-datetime/indicator-datetime-service
ExecutableTimestamp: 1581950243
ProcCmdline: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-datetime/indicator-datetime-service

But again, thank you for this. Maybe we can even get it working somehow :slight_smile:

Edit: This https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/indicator-applet-complete-stopped-showing-the-clock/23931/15 is the thread where I first learned about the same bug while using Mate. Who knows, maybe it is of some help to you.

'fraid not - nothing in that mate link that is useful.

Indeed - indicator-datetime is the same as Mate - so the issue is probably due to your evolution/online accounts setup. I cannot reproduce it unfortunately under 20.04

Do you have any spare hardware that you are willing to test a 21.10 install on?

I am wondering if I do a build soonish using ayatana-indicator-datetime if it will work better than Canonical’s version of indicator-datetime.

Hi,

Thanks a lot fossfreedom, i love this!
I was really waiting for this addon

I tested this with a fresh install of budgie 20.04 in a VM

Integration with évolution is perfect.

I will install budgie impish on my computer :slightly_smiling_face:

( maybe The only litttle thing is that you can see 2 bells and i didn’t find how to hide the first one. but it’s just a point of detail and it’s really not important.)

I did some research and found something.

https://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg5819234.html

I have indeed appointments AND tasks within Evolution and this seems to cause the crash. Running the indicator manually from terminal gives me exactly the error message mentioned in that bug report.

Maybe someone could test that to verify? Creating a task in Evolution, not only appointments.

I temporarily removed the google account completely, only having owncloud calendars in evolution now, but with tasks. Seems that tasks in Evolution in general are causing trouble.

I will set up a test environment to test it without tasks in the coming days, also an 21.10 test machine, but as for 21.10 shouldn’t I be waiting for it to get released?

Hi,

i tried the same installation with impish in a VM.
i have the bell in the panel but not the clock next to it. (as you see in the image above)
So i can’t acces to the calendar
Everything is on in dconf-editor.
I tried with another theme but without success.

EDIT: in a command line

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-datetime/indicator-datetime-service
Indicator-Datetime-Message: 18:33:48.031: indicator-datetime exiting; failed/los

For the test PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-datetime
sudo apt upgrade

the ayatana package to install is called ayatana-indicator-datetime

You’ll need to autostart this application for things to appear correctly /usr/libexec/ayatana-indicator-datetime/ayatana-indicator-datetime-service

in dconf-editor the settings are in org/ayatana/indicator/datetime

You can safely purge the package indicator-datetime

sudo apt purge indicator-datetime

Remember to logout and login after the change above to make sure things are running ok.

Ok, it’s working perfectly now.

I must have installed the wrong package before.

Thanks a lot

Has anyone got experience with thunderbird?

Does this addon integrate well with ayatana-indicator-datetime and/or indicator-datetime?

Yay! I made an event -Testevent- ← shows up immediately

This is the Ayatana version.

3 Likes

Awesome! This is going to be a great feature for our next release.

What would also be interesting is to have Google Calendar directly plugged through gnome online accounts (or your specific implementation).
Evolution and Thunderbird are already pretty cool though. That’s a nice little addition.

You may use a Thunderbird add-on to sync’ your google agendas with TB ( Provider for Google agendas ).

( + maybe EDS add-on + setting your gmail account through « online account » )

Those should send everything to the calendar indicator/applet/thing.