Removing conflicting operating system files

removing old files is good. However, it seems to get stuck on this process. The “skip” button is no help, nor control-C.

The messages are many, and can’t be copied. The CRITICAL messages at the top seem to do with an assertion about widgets being either visible or top-level, failing.

I’m going to have to kill this with system monitor.

Not sure what or how your deleting files. What process did you use? What’s the outputs?

I wasn’t aware that this was an old bug (2012). The installer, ubiquity, wants a clean install. Not merely within the partitions it is changing, but also in other partitions. My partition had leftover Windows information that could not be deleted.

The bug says a fix has been prepared. I didn’t see it.

Jim, we are not in your head, we can’t see through your eyes, you have to provide some context.

What were you doing ? What did you expect ?

Which bug are you talking about ?

So you are talking about Ubiquity, the installer.

Depending of your choice of Installation ( beside existing OS, replacing everything or else ) it expects different things.

If « beside » it expects one empty, non-allocated, large enough space, to make use of it for creating and formatting necessary partition⋅s to finally install Ubuntu.

If « replacing » it will swipe everything and use the whole disk to install.

If « else » there you can do everything manually, formatting or re-use and point-mounting partitions as you wish.

I expected it to install Ubuntu Budgie 20.04. it did not, saying it had to check for software that would conflict with the files it was installing. Takes forever.

Search Results

Web results

[

Bug #946663 “Installer stuck at “Removing conflicting operating

](https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwio39bxqOTqAhXfgnIEHcwlAFAQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbugs.launchpad.net%2Fbugs%2F946663&usg=AOvVaw3xCj99lF7N1CKqUcHk4coh)

Context, Jim. Context.

Are you trying to install beside another operating system ( windows or another linux distro ) ?

Are you trying to re-use without formatting an already existing partition ( maybe for a separate /home partition ) ?

Are you upgrading your whole system from a previous Ubuntu version ( from 19.10 to 20.04 for example ) ?

We are blind and unable to help you if you don’t paint a broader picture of your situation.

Okay. My Linux machine (lMint) would no longer boot. Seemed to be a disk controller problem. The new machine came with w10. I wanted to install budgie, dual boot, then later set up a virtual machine in budgie for windows, as I had before. I shrank the w10 partition and tried to install Budgie. Problems arose, not yet resolved.

Plan now is to install the disks from the old machine. (New machine is a desktop, old one a tower; space is a problem.) If budgie will install there, carry on. In fact, I had installed budge earlier, on one of the ssd’s.

There’s a temptation to reinstall w10 and carry on like sheep in homage to Microsoft. I can resist.

Ok.

Sounds like something maybe related to
1⋅ UEFI
2⋅ secure boot
3⋅ how windows stops ( it has to be really totally shutdown, not hibernated / ready for fast boot ).

1⋅ that should not be a problem just be sure to use an installation media for Ubuntu which is UEFI compliant.
2⋅ that may look a bit trickier. You probably need to disable secure boot in order to install another OS on this machine. It’s slightly different from an (UEFI) bios to another so try to find doc’ for your machine / bios version.
3⋅ this sounds silly, but if Windows is not completely stopped that may prevent necessary access to disk, so be sure to disable anything regarding hibernation / fastboot Win10’s side. And by default I think Win10 is in fastboot mode ( actually a kind of hibernation that holds on access to disk ).

1 Like

I finally installed budgie by brute force. I unplugged the second drive I installed from my old computer, and used the format-the-entire-disk option with the installer. It installed without problem. I’ll cut off a piece of the disk for /home and such, and carry on.

Mmm.

But did you explore the tracks I’ve suggested ?

Unsure what you mean by cut off a piece of the drive, other than you will resize the partition.
Had you giving us a little more to work with, things may have went more smoothly.
Such as output from lsblk -f. UEFI and/or Windows or Secure boot may have also conributed to your issue.

Or use Boot-repair.

Fill for 20 characters.

When I figured out how to install a budgie (even without win) by using the entire disk, I grabbed it. So I didn’t explore Coeur’s suggestions.

It was more difficult than I thought it would be to get the thing working, but I did it.