Testing 20.04 - only for the most adventurous

Is it possible to use 19.10 ppa’s in 20.04?

Is there any file that I can change so the ppa’s will recognize my system as 19.10

If yes I will install 20.04 now, in my main machine hahah.

It is possible - but unwise due to different compilers.

At the end of the day - 20.04 can blow up and you will need to reinstall at any time. So if you are depending on stuff on 19.10 then (at this early stage) testing 20.04 is probably not wise.

I would much prefer testing to be on a non critical machine - a spare laptop for example.

1 Like

I have Budgie dailys and backports PPAs active. To install any Budgie applets I am told to install the backports PPA but get this when i do;
E: The repository ‘http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntubudgie/backports/ubuntu focal Release’ does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

Yeah. Backports will be available sometime in February

Been using now for 2 weeks. Very solid. Personal opinions aside, you have a winner here.
Started mostly using Elementary, but now almost exclusively Budgie 20.04. No crashes or anything errant (you would expect from dev version) but I do get the system error (usually on start) asking to send bug report. Cant live without the applets whereas latest Elementary has taken another route which IMHO was the wrong way to go. Im assuming that as daily changes are released my version will update or?

As long as you are using Software Updater (either manually or automatically), you will have the latest daily PPA updates and everything else released.

Here to ‘test’ 20.04 :slight_smile: Hi

Only two 64bit test machines here, sadly no 32 bit version, as I have more test machines

Welcome!

We no longer support 32bit … it stopped being a supported architecture from 18.10 and later.

Thanks :slight_smile: To be pedantic, surely some of us here still support and actively use 32 bit machines, though not trying to argue, If I need 32 bit I can always resort to installing debian and pulling off a mint or budgie bodykit to glitz it up nicely.
Will we ever see a decent 64-bit subnotebook on the market to rival the asus eee pc?

goes to read the newbie testing guide…

To be honest. 32bit is a dead architecture. If you are after a decent cheap machine then something like the arm based Pinebook pro is the way to go.

When we can get these for under $30 then maybe I’ll upgrade my eee pc based multi-room audio system (which doubles as clock and slideshow picture frame in every room, also internet.

I have, at the moment, only 1 issue with the 20.04 budgie installation:

dconf option Text Ellipsis Limit in /org/nemo/icon-view is no longer working. Setting it to either [‘0’] or [‘20’] does nothing. All my anime series with the episode number at the end are cut short on the desktop. In Budgie I can still re-organize icons so they are in alphabetical order so not too much of an issue (the same option in “nautilus” also does not work so probably not something that is caused by Budgie itself).

Everything else I use works. Not even getting a crash on logging in the 1st time I boot at I normally see when I use an installation that is in beta. I am already very happy with the 20.04 release.

The key /org/nemo/desktop/text-ellipsis-limit does the job here on a fresh 20.04.

@vlijm :slight_smile:

DARN IT. Wasted an hour looking at the wrong key. I used icon-view :X

Hehe :slight_smile: yeah, I know the feeling. happens to me each and every day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Next attempt :smiley:

@fossfreedom installing the 2 applets named “system monitor” from the welcome screen does not work. Adding the backports PPA errors out.

CLI install does work.

None of the backport packages from eoan have yet to be rebuilt for focal. That will happen in the coming weeks.

on that same note (unrelated to Ubuntu Budgie) Alex Larsson hasn’t updated his flatpak repository to focal yet, getting an error, unable to install. I’ll send contact on monday

Unrelated, I just updated a new install from Saturday Feb 01, and on Feb 03rd (today) UB 20.04 did a “partial upgrade” instead of an expected update. Output from neofetch:

thinkbot@thinkbot-ThinkPad-P50
Host: 20EN001PUS ThinkPad P50
Kernel: 5.4.0-12-generic
Uptime: 12 mins
Packages: 2170 (dpkg), 13 (flatpak),
Shell: bash 5.0.11
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: Budgie
WM: Mutter(Budgie)
Memory: 1935MiB / 15837MiB

Does this indicate installling flatpaks is back on? (I actually did not contact Mr Larsson as of yet. Work is piling up on my desk)

I didn’t realize I would have reconfigure my panel, applets, and dock after applying one of the desktop layouts. Nice feature, just not for me.