Testing 20.04 - only for the most adventurous

FYI , the mailspring snap is currently broken. I continue to receive mail, but can’t write new mail. I know this is not a Budgie desktop issue and will report if possible.
The .deb@ Github has dependency problems on the development release.

Generally snap issues should be reported here https://forum.snapcraft.io/

The problem has been solved .

Hello! Saturday Feb 22, another partial upgrade this evening, rather than just an update.
@ 5.4.0-14 at this point.

–> Everything seems to have gone smoother this time, no dropped environments.
Apparently it scooped out and replaced quite a bit, but it seemed pretty seemless. Well done :slight_smile:

Everyone - I’m interested in your thoughts about “drawing” - Ubuntu Budgie never has had a painting program simply because most painting programs were either not maintained … or rather too advanced for most users (eg. gimp)

Its a rather elegant looking drawing app - think “MS Paint” … but much better.

Please have a look at v0.4.11 that is now in the focal archive.

sudo apt install drawing

@fossfreedom installing has errors.

It does start. 1st impression: looks very cool. Nice lay-out.

1 “big” issue:

1 very minor issue:

• it probably needs a little bit more space between title and subtitle.

Screenshot from 2020-02-23 12-42-01

Got an error on closing.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/drawing/window.py”, line 299, in on_close
if not self.get_active_image().try_close_tab():
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/drawing/image.py”, line 215, in try_close_tab
self.selection.reset()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/drawing/selection_manager.py”, line 123, in reset
self.image.update_actions_state()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/drawing/image.py”, line 289, in update_actions_state
self.active_tool().update_actions_state()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/drawing/abstract_canvas_tool.py”, line 44, in update_actions_state
self.set_action_sensitivity(‘selection_delete’, False)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/drawing/abstract_tool.py”, line 49, in set_action_sensitivity
self.get_image().set_action_sensitivity(action_name, state)
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘set_action_sensitivity’

Thx. For each of these please report on the upstream issue tracker

I am on it :slight_smile:

Hmm can’t repeat the last error :frowning:

I would report that close issue anyway … looks like a bit of defensive coding should be done.

re: Drawing. Pretty basic stuff, as drawing programs go. It’s a good mark up program, but MyPaint and Krita still have it beat by miles. I like that it has a text option (not in MyPaint) and a limited colour palette (Too much choice for noobs in MyP & Kr)
I’m going to give it a pass until pressure sensitivity for my old Wacom is included. But if you were strictly looking for an MS Paint swap out? … Maybe.
Control Q does need a brief “really?” moment. ALWAYS :slight_smile:

Saves/exports as png? Opens jpg, png, and …?
I agree Gimp is too complex for noobs. MyPaint just received an update from 1.2 to 2, updated as a flatpak I believe, but still no text support.

Thanks for the feedback - yeah “ordinary users” is my thought for the target. Sounds like you are most definitely on the artistic end of the spectrum with wacom/gimp and krita knowledge

ha! guilty as charged, but I can’t write code so you’ve got me beat :slight_smile:
Yes if you were strictly limited to a mouse, this might be helpful for screenshot markup or drawing word balloons on cat jpgs

Parsing Errors:

None of those cinnamon issues are on my clean install. So its something you have been testing with.

gufw - that is deliberate because the firewall (if installed) does not appear in UB (its hidden on GNOME based desktops for some strange reason) … so we’ve worked around it by providing our own desktop file.

Not sure if you know that already, but you can click on the folder and delete the listed *.desktop files …

Hi should I even have cinnamon control centre in the desktop files?
Ive included below whats been installed along the way should I remove all the cinnamon items?

sudo apt-get remove cinnamon-desktop-environment ?

The only bits of cinnamon UB needs are the translation files … so the cinnamon named packages here https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/nemo

Previews was not working so I removed it (intending to see if a reinstall would fix) , after a reboot I have lost all Budgie content and desktop is a black screen with mouse cursor only.

Thanks for the report. Yeah, we have been a little overzealous with the dependencies vs recommendations of various packages. This will be fixed in an update today.

Just reinstall the budgie-desktop-environment package again to get back where you were before uninstalling previews.

Now stuck at login with “failed to start session”
Tried reinstalling and got “ubuntu-budgie-desktop is already the latest version”