Testing 20.04 - only for the most adventurous

I can reproduce it.

Mar 5 22:21:32 discworld budgie-panel.desktop[64505]: Error writing to logfile
Mar 5 22:21:32 discworld budgie-panel.desktop[64505]: Error writing to logfile
Mar 5 22:21:32 discworld budgie-wm.desktop[64498]: Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x1e038bd
Mar 5 22:21:39 discworld budgie-panel[64505]: manager.vala:451: Resetting dconf path: /com/solus-project/budgie-panel/applets/{ebad642c-5f26-11ea-8aed-ef9a0a74a587}/

Just BEFORE the crash this also happens:

adding another workspace logs me out

okey dokey - since you have reproduced this on Solus please report it on the upstream issue tracker. We should deal with it there. Thx

Done.

Filed this ticket.

1 Like

bug that should be fixed in 20.04. Occurs to me on 19.10

The Raven trigger button ocassionally moves position automatically. budgie desktop settings still shows it at the leftmost. So I move it one up, and then move the widget thats now at the bottom up. VERY strange & annoying but works.

It only happens if you uninstall an applet that is still on the panel. In addition if you uninstall an applet that is part of the layout that you are using.

So annoying yes ā€¦ but it is a known issue and will not be resolved until someone delves into the code to fix it.

So how may I fix this?

Strange problem with Budgie welcome . I installed and applied the evopop theme and decided I didnā€™t like it. I then used Budgie desktop settings to apply a different theme and icons after which the evopop theme and paper icons automatically reapplied themselves again and again after manually changing the theme!

I finally uninstalled the theme and icons from synaptic, rebooted and applied a theme manually. I hope new users have clear understanding of how the new theme and layout selections work vs manually.

If I knew that I would have fixed it myself!!

Somewhere in the src/panel area of the budgie-desktop source code

Lol, I meant to ask if there was a workaround for it, but I had a headahe :dizzy_face:
@Frogshair is the problem reproducible with other themes like Evopop?

Workaround is as stated - dont uninstall applets that are on the panel - dont uninstall your layout applets

But what if youā€™re already done it?

then you have no choice but to reset your panel - remember to install the applets for the layout you are using.

Ah ok. thanks, iā€™ll do it later i guess
Or just create a panel on the other side of the screen and copy over the applets

Iā€™m on a different computer now and will check tomorrow. Some of the themes were not installed from Budgie Welcome , but are displayed there. This is the first time an icon the was installed along with the theme.

1 Like

I have tested the arc, adapta, and plata and the themes,icons, and background applied properly. As soon as the background was reverted to the previously manually selected choice the theme and icons also reverted to what was manually selected. I donā€™t know if this was intended behavior or not.

I have some other related problems. After using the theme selection. The font in show time automatically changed size and I have an unattached Budgie Icon stuck in plank. Iā€™ll try rebooting .Screenshot from 2020-03-09 09-53-14 Screenshot from 2020-03-09 10-00-19 Screenshot from 2020-03-09 10-03-17

After reboot the font of show time is as I set it though I now have a transparent panel with a shadow. The builtin theme was enabled upon reboot.The conky has a delayed start and shouldnā€™t affect desktop startup. Excuse me for so many posts, Iā€™ll edit in the future.

This should now be fixed in the latest version of budgie-desktop which should be in your update queue now.

I confirmed with a fully-upgraded 2020-03-09 daily Ubuntu Budgie Focal image that the problem is fixed as was described in the commit that Josh made soon after the bug was filed. I do wish that the number of desktops wasnā€™t limited to 8 however, as that is how I found the bug to begin with. I run 12 workspaces at all times, so being limited to 8 is quite a bit constraining. I know the panel can get crowded once you are at 10+ desktops with the workspace switcher being present, and so that likely it was an aesthetic choice, but I started out using workspaces on BeOS 20 years ago, where your number of desktops is limited to the number of function keys you have, which is usually 12 on modern keyboards.

I tried to override the workspace number via org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences -> num-workspaces, but then you get the bug rearing its head again, as was found previously when trying to set up more than 8 workspaces, where you get booted out to the LightDM login prompt. So yes, the bug is fixed when one is interfacing via normal means, but not if one is trying to manipulate the number via a dconf change.

I was hoping to just create a gschema.override file, setting my number of desktops, and then being able to still run 12 workspaces, even if the workspace switcher was still limited to only displaying 8. I know which applications I place on the various desktops, and I switch to them via keyboard shortcut, so I donā€™t even really need the visual indication that the workspace switcher provides.

So yes, in summary, the bug is fixed for most people, but I personally still find it a bit constraining, especially when itā€™s generally limited to 36 in other desktop environments.

Yeah the patch that was applied enforces the 8 number - so its hard-coded.

This is an upstream decision and has always been there as far as I can see. If you run your own compiled budgie-desktop then obviously you can remove that restriction. Alternatively make a suggested pull request upstream to make the value configurable.

Hello. I donā€™t believe it has always been there. It was added as part of 10.5.1 as far as I can tell, since I have been running 12 workspaces with Budgie for quite a long time. I am using 12 workspaces on Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 as I type this, for instance.

That said, I will do as you said, as like you said, it was an upstream choice. While I can compile my own budgie-desktop, I feel that will cause other system problems, and so the best solution is either for me to be content with 8 workspaces, use a desktop environment that allows more than 8 workspaces, or perhaps make a pull request or otherwise convince the Solus team to allow more than 8 workspaces.

I have another bug I found that should be within the Ubuntu Budgie teamā€™s control, so I am going to post about that shortly, and try to work with the Solus team with regard to this workspace issue.

Thanks.