Testing 22.04 - Are you brave enough?

There is a big issue using Ubuntu 22.04 on Raspberry 4B 4GB.

Linux rw-rpi02 5.13.0-1008-raspi #9-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 29 08:27:44 UTC 2021 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I can only start one program (Firefox or Thunderbird, Rhythmbox or other apps), otherwise the memory will immediately overflow. The system becomes increasingly slow and after some time becomes completely unusable. The mouse pointer can still be moved, but the clicks are no longer executed. The system monitor tells me that there is no swap file. This could be the reason why the main memory immediately overflows and the system is blocked.

isnā€™t that the buggy kernel that was updated in impish but not yet updated in jammy?

Why the Canonical kernel devs for jammy have not updated to 1012 (impish version) I donā€™t know.

No. The reason is that this upgrade from Ubuntu Budgie 21. 10 to ā€œBudgieā€ 22. 04 is not a good basis for discussion here in the forum!

The current installation is the normal Ubuntu 22. 04 for ARM Raspberry.
It will remain so during the development work. Makes sense and is a better basis than the mix of 21. 10 Budgie ARM to 22. 04 Budgie ARM. When Ubuntu Budgie 22. 04 is available, I will switch.

Is the kernel the reason for the missing swap file? I donā€™t think so.

yeah - we canā€™t create a test 22.04 UB raspi image until Canonical have sorted out the buggy kernel.

I suppose we could try to recompile the impish 1012 kernel for jammy and put that into a PPA that then can be installed for Jammy - but Iā€™m not sure that we will be testing valid stuff.

For 22.04 we will have to wait until Canonical have sorted things out. Iā€™ve just looked at the desktop kernel and I can see they are trying to push the v5.15 kernel. This has happened several times over the recent weeks, none of the tries have yet made it into the release repo. Iā€™m surmising that this is the reason why no updates for the raspi kernel - v5.15 doesnā€™t quite work just yet for the desktop ā€¦ so until it does it wouldnt be useful effort to expend trying to create a similar v5.15 kernel for the raspi that will also likely fail to migrate.

Also think that the latest kernel should work until it can be tested meaningfully. Weā€™re going to have to practice patience, arenā€™t we?

Have now created my own swap file, and it works fine after reboot the system.
Ubuntu 22.04 ARM Raspberry Pi 4 4GB.
Linux rw-rpi02 5.13.0-1008-raspi #9-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 29 08:27:44 UTC 2021 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
$ sudo ls -lh /swapfile
-rw------- 1 root root 1,0G Jan 5 18:48 /swapfile

System Monitor tells me: Swap File = 483,0 (47,2%) of 1024MiB in use

Seems that the system is now in a better condition.

1 Like

Hotcorners now has an option to ā€œdelayā€ the activation of a hotcorner as well as invoking via ā€œpressureā€ - i.e. how quickly you pushed your cursor into the corner

This will be useful for those touchpads that doesnt have the sensivity to allow for the extant pressure option.

1 Like

For 22.04 there is a new Chrome OS like layout available via budgie welcome

The menu button opens up a revised lightpad layout - this has been enhanced to fix an extant issue where some GNOME apps could not be launched from lightpad

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for all the superb work done here.
Iā€™ve tried this version in a vm and and I can notice first 3 minimal points :

• if I want to test the live usb before installing it, I choose the language (French) the French keyboard is not selected. Itā€™s not azerty keyboard selected.I donā€™t have this problem on others ubuntu variant
  • I canā€™t install the chrome theme. There is a ā€œfailed installation of chrome-layoutā€ error message
  • On the top panel appears ā€œno indicatorsā€ (see attached image)

Yep ā€¦ languages and locales are limited on the live USB ā€¦ we do not ship any locales ā€¦ strictly en_US since we need to keep the size of the ISO down.

the chrome os layout needs our daily budgie extras PPA installedā€¦ the full release will be not until March.

No Indicators is a known issue and has been raised to the ayatana project.

A big thank you for these explanations :slightly_smiling_face:
Itā€™s just a shame that the keyboard layout doesnā€™t react like the other live Iso variants but I do understand this limitation .

Then itā€™s a choice made by Budgie. If expected keymap is not set accordingly to language set by user it may lead to weird situation during installationā€¦

This mismatch does not happen while live-testing Ā« regular Ā» Ubuntu and itā€™s wise.

( but Budgie is not alone with this, other ( all ? ) variants do the same ).

The installer should sort this out.

What we are referring to is the live USB. I will not be adding any locales for the ISO.

I should have written : Ā« it may lead to weird situation during the setup process of installation Ā»

Letā€™s say your language is French, your physical keyboard is azerty but the logical keymap is qwerty, you may end up typing unexpected names or ā€¦password.

I know the trap with variants, so I care to change the keymap during live session before installing.

This is not needed with regular Ubuntu, which sets the logical keymap to azerty once french language has been selected.

I donā€™t know if it implies to Ā« load Ā» all locales for doing that - certainly more keymaps ?

Ubuntu has fr, it, es & de in its seeds - so its probably pulling from that. Probably should test a language/locale not in the list - e.g. thai, serbian etc.

All,

RISCV64 support has now been enabled for Ubuntu Budgie

So you can now install ubuntu-budgie-desktop to get UB, budgie and customisation for your RISCV64 based machine.

If you are interested in a mini-project, it would be more than helpful to come-up with a way (step by step guide) to show how to run a RISCV64 based machine with Budgie via - for example QEMU

Some ideas:

The behavior ( keymap matching language - or matching physical keyboard ) is nowadays already different between Budgie ( or other variants ) compared to Ā« regular Ā» Ubuntu.

Why is that ?

( and indeed itā€™s not new and not limited to Budgie ).

Dunno - I havenā€™t noticed any issues simply because I only use en_GB.

Sounds like an issue for someone to delve into!

I also tried xubuntu, kubuntu , mate ubuntu and ubuntu in live mode and for the 4, when you start the iso, you choose the French language, you select ā€œtry () buntuā€ and it is indeed the French keyboard that is selected for the 4 distributions

Oh. Not like that in my memories, but good to know !

What were the versions of iso / systems ?

By saying french keyboard, do you mean AZERTY physical mapping and something like franƧais ( variante ) for the logical mapping ?

That might mean itā€™s Budgie specific.