Testing 22.04 - Are you brave enough?

Will the deb automatically update with new versions or will is freeze at the level that is installed?

the esr ppa is maintained by Canonical - I see its kept up-to-date pretty fast when Mozilla releases an ESR update.

Different topic. I notice that the libfuse2 is not installed by default. It is required if you run an AppImage program ā€“ an oversight or intentional?

appimages isnā€™t an area I am familiar with.

As I understand it, an AppImage file is a full executable for linux that includes all the libraries, etc. For example, I use the Standard Notes application that is an AppImage file that once downloaded can execute. On 20.04 do a man fuse

we ship with gvfs-fuse which brings in fuse3. Not sure why a relatively newer tech such as appimages should require older software. Sounds odd.

Likewise i donā€™t know what the potential impact is (if any) having both fuse2 and fuse3 stuff installed at the same time.

Probably the AppImage file is not up-to-date with the latest libraries.

In your updates today thanks to @samlane a bit of love and attention to the budgie-trash-applet

fixes:

• support multiple file drag and drop to panel icon
  • show trash full icon when there are items in trash
  • open trash folder instead of popup when > 100 items
  • fix paths with certain characters not restoring correctly
1 Like

Late breaking for 22.04 is the inclusion of mesa 22. If you donā€™t know what mesa is - it is the 3d graphic layer that translates graphics requests to your graphics driver.

This is really great news for Gamers - the latest vulkan stuff comes automatically so the latest and greatest games now and in the future have a great base to work from 22.04.

The flip side is that mesa 22 drops support for older graphics drivers such as Intel Arrandale Mesa for older devices after 22.04 - Desktop - Ubuntu Community Hub - so circa 2010 and earlier.

The link gives workarounds - whether they work with your hardwareā€¦

Basically if your computer is around 10 years or older from their manufacturer 20.04 LTS is probably the last really supported distro for your hardware.

libfuse2 will be installed by default from tomorrows daily.

All,

Beta version of our 22.04 raspi image is now available to test with ubuntu budgie - Browse /budgie-raspi-22.04 at SourceForge.net

All - draft release notes are now available.

These will be iterated upon during the next few weeks as we move towards the final 22.04 release.

Hi
I can not seem to find an option in budgie control centre or budgie desktop settings to edit the lock screen image, is this disabled in budgie or have I missed it ?

Choosing a background from budgie-control-center will automatically change the lock screen image to be the same.

If you are doing things manually, the lock-screen is defined by the dconf-editor key org.gnome.desktop.screensaver.picture-uri

or you can use gnome-tweaks ā€¦ that works also

please donā€™t - if you install that you will install GDM3 and the rest of gnome-shell that will then break budgie.

No problems so far screen blanks and locks normally, everything else appears to work correctly, but I have not rebooted yetā€¦ Iā€™ll do that later & get back if thereā€™s a problem

I installed 22.04 yesterday, set it up with Arc-Dark/Traditional Budgie, and plan to use it for the next few weeks as if it were a production build.

So far, no issues other than (1) an initial notification that theme snaps were missing, and (2) the usual problems getting the Microsoft Edge key out of etc/apt/keyrings and into usr/share/keyrings. The ā€œmissing themeā€ issue resolved itself after several apt update, apt upgrade cycles, and the Edge key issue is a Microsoft issue rather than a Ubuntu/Budgie issue.

The teamā€™s 10.6 implementation is excellent (reference point is Solus Budgie, which has been my production build since 2017).

I want to particularly thank the team for including Microsoft Edge in the ā€œBrowser Ballotā€. Edge installed flawlessly, except for the keyring issue. Thatā€™s a marked difference from my experience with 20.04 Edge installation.

ā€¦no you shouldnā€™t.

gnome-tweaks is intended for gnome-shell Desktop Environment, not for Budgie DE.

Hence the wise pieces of advice from @fossfreedom ( as a Budgie devā€™ he knows what heā€™s talking about. )

In a broader way of speaking : mixing core components of many DE under one Ɨbuntu system and moreover under one $HOME ( = /home/$USER/ ) will sooner or later leads to serious mismatches in various configā€™s, parameters and settings, to the event of preventing the launch of your graphical session.

Why that ? Most DE out there are more or less forks from actual or older Gnome components. So these DE might write their related different settings and parameters into the same files. Whatā€™s good for one DE may not be good for an other.

Those files are mainly stored into the hidden elements of your $HOME so this is also why a Ā« separate /home partition Ā» canā€™t fit in all and any context. Itā€™s ok as long as your context is constant, stable ie. same OS version and same DE.

I donā€™t remember having this problem on UBudgie 20.04. Maybe the apt Edge repository is not ready yet for 22.04 and this will get Ā« fixed Ā» later with official 22.04 release ?