Testing 22.04 - Are you brave enough?

I think that the problem exists because the Microsoft deb file puts the key into etc/apt/keyrings (deprecated) rather than into usr/share/keyrings (current standard). The user gets a warning when sudo apt update is run: “Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.

If you still have your 20.04 build available with Edge installed, run sudo apt update and I suspect you’ll see the warning if you installed Edge opening the deb file rather than installing through the terminal.

At present,having the key in etc/apt/keyrings doesn’t affect functionality (it is just a warning), but in time it will. Microsoft needs to rebuild the deb file so that the key is signed and installed in usr/share/keyrings. Meanwhile, it isn’t all that hard to fix using the terminal.

As a side note, terminal installation instructions available in the Ubuntu forums can be used to set up the keys correctly as part of the installation process. This one is on Microsoft.

Update/Edit 4/3/2022:

I installed Chromium, Brave and Vivaldi from the “Browser Ballot” this morning to see what would happen. Vivaldi (deb) created the deprecated key location problem. Brave (deb) and Chromium (snap) did not.

This is not a UB 22.04 issue, although Debian/Ubuntu made the decision several years ago to deprecate the old etc/apt/keyrings standard and replace the old standard with a newer, more secure, standard. It is a vendor issue. Vendors (and the issue affects many apps, I’ve learned) will eventually solve the problem by locating the key in the right place. Until then, the issue will continue.

Update/Edit #2 4/3/2022:

I dug a little further. Debian 11 and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS support etc/apt/keyrings, although those will be the last Debian/Ubuntu releases to do so. The issue is not, accordingly, critical at this point, although sudo apt update will warn about each key stored in etc/apt/keyrings. Beginning next fall, however, Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distos 22.10 and subsequent will no longer support the old standard and the issue will come to a head.

Thx for the heads up.

I’ve tweaked welcome for vivaldi, edge and chrome - think I’ve forced the keyrings into an alternate location that isnt deprecated.

Run

snap refresh

to pick up the latest welcome (v0.17.2)

Thank you. I ran snap refresh, confirmed that I’m on v0.17.2, and am testing.

(1) The Vivaldi test was successful (Vivaldi installed, sudo apt update showed no warnings, and Vivaldi opens and runs normally).

(2) The Chrome installer hung on the first attempt. It was “Applying Changes …” for 30 minutes without result. The spinner stopped, so I forced Budgie Welcome to shut down. The second try was successful (Chrome installed, sudo apt update showed no warnings, and Chrome opens and runs normally).

This is the sudo apt update result at this point (xxxx substituted for http):

tomscharbach@DELL-TS-7050-UBUDGIE:~$ sudo apt update
[sudo] password for tomscharbach:
Hit:1 xxxx://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Hit:2 xxxx://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
Ign:3 xxxx://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb stable InRelease
Hit:4 xxxx://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
Hit:5 xxxx://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb stable Release
Hit:6 xxxx://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
Hit:8 xxxx://packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge stable InRelease
Hit:9 xxxx://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
All packages are up to date.

Testing Edge will be more complicated because I already relocated the Microsoft key, so I’ll not be able to give it a clean test. I think that I’ll do a clean install of UB 22.04 Beta (either bare metal over this build or in a Gnome VM under Solus Budgie) and then install Edge from scratch using the “Browser Ballot”. I might not get to that today, but I will test the Edge install and let you know the results.

Update/Edit:

All is well. I did a clean UB 22.04 Beta install on a clean drive, ran the updates and otherwise completed initial setup, ran snap refresh, confirmed that Budgie Welcome was at v0.17.2, and then installed Microsoft Edge using Budgie Welcome’s “Browser Ballot”. Edge is installed, sudo apt update shows no warnings, and Edge opens, runs and syncs to my MSA normally.

This is the sudo apt update at this point (xxxx replacing http):

tomscharbach@DELL-TS-7050-UB:~$ sudo apt update
Hit:1 xxxx://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Hit:2 xxxx://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
Hit:3 xxxx://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
Hit:4 xxxx://packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge stable InRelease
Hit:5 xxxx://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
All packages are up to date.

Thank you so much for doing this, @fossfreedom. You made life a lot simpler for a lot of users.

1 Like

All - budgie desktop v10.6.1 is now available in your regular updates and should be on todays (4th April) daily
This is the upstream release notes.

Enjoy testing!

1 Like

also one of the reasons why the deb firefox-esr package has been made available via budgie-welcome - getting started - browser ballot.

can’t find the browser ballot in getting started – iso of April 9

edit: OK, the browser ballot is not shown in the live session, only after 22.04 is installed.

FWIW, the Remove Snap FF option leaves the FF snap icon in the Plank dock. Shouldn’t this icon be removed during the removal?

Hmm. Sounds odd. Plank should autoremove if it sees that the associated desktop file has been removed.

Hmm… i would have hoped a snap remove firefox would be enough todo that … why there would be some remenant of the snap on the system i dont know why.

Check with snap list to confirm firefox has indeed been removed.

ok - for me the icon doesnt get deleted straight away - it takes approx a minute for it to disappear. It begins to fade and reappear slowly & repeatedly after about 10-15 seconds and then is removed at the end of the minute.

well, in my situation I rebooted and the icon was still there. I think the uninstall did not delete the desktop file.

look in ~/.config/plank/dock1/launchers for the dockitem - look at the contents - it should have a path to a desktop file - does that desktop file still exist in that location?

Unfortunately, I have already deleted the icon from the Plank. lit me try a couple of things to see if I can duplicate it.

is this an upgrade situation - i.e. 21.10 to 22.04 or 20.04 to 22.04?

In this case, the upgrade-manager will leave the firefox deb still installed - the deb will I think still have the .desktop file in it - but the desktop file will instead run the snap.

The plank firefox icon after upgrade will be still pointing to the deb firefox.

In this scenario you have to manually remove the firefox package after the upgrade.

This may be close. I installed this test system on Feb 22. My guess is that at that time the installer was still using the .deb version of FF, thus a .desktop file existed. Somewhere along the update path the SNAP version of FF was installed. Quite frankly, not sure what the icon in Plank was pointing to but my guess was the old .desktop file in /applications. That .desktop file had an Exec=firefox %u

If I go to the command line and type $ firefox I get a response Commane ‘/usr/bin/firefox’ requires the firefox snap to be installed – even though I have firefox.esr.

yep - you can safely remove the deb firefox i.e. sudo apt purge firefox

1 Like

22.04 is almost here. Scheduled for Thurs 21st April.
Release Candidate iso’s very soon.

This is the last push to ensure installs can go smoothly.

So this weekend is a great time to dig in, testing upgrades etc. on non production machines.

Have fun!

Thank you all for participating in this development cycle.

We will start a new thread for 22.10 soonish.

2 Likes