Ubuntu Budgie 21.04 Testing Week 1st April - 7th April

Ubuntu Budgie 21.04 Testing Week

We’re delighted to announce that we’re participating in another ‘Ubuntu Testing Week’ from April 1st to April 7th with other flavors in the Ubuntu family https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours. On April 1st, the beta version of Ubuntu Budgie 21.04 ‘Hirsute Hippo’ will be released after freezing all new changes to its features, user interface and documentation. Between April 1st and the final release on April 22nd, all efforts by the Ubuntu Budgie team and - hopefully the community - should be focused on ISO testing, reporting bugs, fixing bugs, and translations right up to final release.

We encourage everyone to use on social media the #UbuntuTestingWeek hashtag to encourage all your followers to spread the word about the event. Testers can visit http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/419/builds on the ISO tracker and read bug reporting tutorials. [replace with up-to-date URL when appropriate]

You can test without changing your system by running it in a VM (Virtual Machine) with software like VMWare Player, VirtualBox (apt-install). Or run Hirsute from USB, SD Card, or DVD to test on your hardware.

There are a variety of ways that you can help test the release, including trying out the various live session and installation test cases from the ISO tracker. The list of changes for this release can be found on on our blog: Ubuntu Budgie 21.04 Release Notes | Ubuntu Budgie

If you find a bug, you’ll need a Launchpad account https://login.launchpad.net/ to file it against the package the app is bundled in, which you can find by asking on Ubuntu Budgie’s Discourse Forum https://discourse.ubuntubudgie.org

Chat live in IRC (Freenode) #ubuntu-quality https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/?nick=user|?#ubuntu-quality or Telegram: Ubuntu Testers https://t.me/UbuntuTesters.

The easiest and fastest way to file a bug is in the command line (Tilix): ubuntu-bug $packagename, such as ubiquity - ubuntu-bug ubiquity

It is important to file the bug within the testing environment so that the necessary results are properly provided to the bug-tracker. All you need to provide to the ISO tracker is the bug number.

If the bug is found in the installer, file it against ubiquity, or file it against the linux if your hardware isn’t working. We encourage those that are willing, to install it either in a VM or on physical hardware. It requires at least 20GB of hard drive space. If you can use it for a few days, more bugs can be discovered and reported.

Please test apps that you regularly use, so you can identify bugs and regressions that should be reported. New ISO files are built everyday, and you should always test with the most up-to-date ISO. It is easier and faster to update an existing daily ISO file on Linux with the command below. Run in the terminal within the folder with the ISO file:

$ zsync http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-budgie/daily-live/current/hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync

We look forward to you joining us to make Ubuntu Budgie 21.04 an even bigger success, and hope that you will also test out the other Ubuntu flavors.

Hello, to honest? I’m not sure for testing this experimental 21.04 temporary with WBox ! But if the new version 22.04 arrive, don’t hesitate for me I go :star_struck:

First spins and the QA site are now available Hirsute Beta | Ubuntu QA

Expect more - but don’t wait (!) - so we recommend using zsync to save your bandwidth.

#UbuntuTestingWeek … new builds 20210331 popping out from the sausage factory … zsync your existing ISO (what do you mean you didn’t download yesterday…?!) and test test test.

Found during testing … manual partitioning you cannot see the partition sizes.

Its a theme issue. Needs to be fixed post Beta

Workaround - use the Try Ubuntu option - change to a different theme and install.

I’m currently running 21.04 Nightly for the last week or so. Is it sufficient for testing purposes to do a

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Or do I need to install a fresh copy of the beta iso?

The beta ISO is really there as a point in time - to test formally the state of play of installs 1st April 2021.

From a wider testing point-of-view - your current install (making sure its up-to-date) is more valuable to Ubuntu Budgie - so please continue.

Awesome, thanks. As an aside, this is a lovely release. Definitely shaping up to be the best UB so far in my opinion.

1 Like

All - very (very very…) draft release notes here Ubuntu Budgie 21.04 Release Notes | Ubuntu Budgie

1 Like

Previously discussed on other forum post, I just filed a bug for cockpit-machines issue.
For your reference: cockpit machines: no settings nor VMs displayed on ubuntu budgie 21.04 · Issue #15641 · cockpit-project/cockpit · GitHub

Please update all the new applets to their latest version(if not done so).

All applets should already be at their latest published version. If you are aware of an applet that isn’t please advise.

1 Like

@fossfreedom As you can see from the bug report here cockpit machines: no settings nor VMs displayed on ubuntu budgie 21.04 · Issue #15641 · cockpit-project/cockpit · GitHub, I was pointed to a launchpad bug Bug #1802005 “socket is inaccessible for libvirt-dbus” : Bugs : libvirt package : Ubuntu . Manual workaround described there works. However the bug is an old one for a previous release and was fixed already. I suspect this to be a regression. Does it make sense to open an new launchpad bug to report, or do you have any other recommended action on this? Thanks!

Yeah. I would raise a new bug report and link back to the old one.

Martin Pitt may close as a duplicate and create a hirsute affects on the original. That’s for Martin to decide.

1 Like

Has anybody experienced any issues using Citrix Workspace in Ubuntu Budgie 21.04 Beta?

Several times per workday, my Citrix Workspace session exits suddenly, and I am seeing a buffer overflow error in Budgie panel. It’s just one minute I am doing work within my Citrix session, and the next moment the window is gone.

Any tips of how to best determine what is going on here, and if the problem is a bug in Citrix Workspace or with Budgie panel? For reference, I am using the default layout for Ubuntu Budgie in case that matters. Also, this system is using Pipewire as a PulseAudio substitute, and ALSA clients are configured to output via PipeWire. I haven’t touched much of anything else that I can recall.

Here is information from /var/log/syslog when this happens:

Apr 6 11:47:34 abc123 budgie-panel.desktop[117850]: *** buffer overflow detected ***: terminated
Apr 6 11:47:35 abc123 citrix-ctxlogd[2391]: Session closing for pid 117850.
Apr 6 11:47:46 abc123 budgie-wm.desktop[3282]: Window manager warning: Ping serial 159144917 was reused for window 0x400000a, previous use was for window 0x400b01e.

Here is the version of Citrix Workspace that is installed. Admittedly, it is considered a technology preview version, so it is possible there is some sort of instability that introduces.

~> apt-cache show icaclient | egrep -i ‘package:|version:’
Package: icaclient
Version: 21.4.0.2

Difficult to say really. Your setup is rather unique.

Citrix workspace is fairly obscure to most users.

Sessions disappearing usually means an Xorg type crash. Again it could be some sort of Citrix incompatibility.

Thank you for the reply.

I will try to change one thing at a time and see if the problem goes away. I’m not sure what triggers it, but it happened about 6 times yesterday and only once today.

If I can find any patterns, I’ll reply back. It will be well outside of the testing week, since I’ll have to make one change per day, but hopefully I can determine something.

If I seem to narrow it down to Budgie, I will have to find a way to gather more debug information from that. Hopefully it is just some bug in the version of Citrix Workspace I am using, however.

1 Like