Ubuntu Budgie 24.04 wallpaper contest

Hello people of the budgie, I hope you are feeling artistic today.

The next Ubuntu Budgie LTS 24.04 Is about to be released and it is time to call for the community to submit amazing wallpapers. A few winning entries will be admired for the next three years!

Ubuntu Budgie 24.04 Noble Numbat is looking for your submissions! First place winner of the contest will get $50 worth of merchandise from our Ubuntu Budgie shop. All other winners that get a wallpaper selected for 24.04 LTS will receive an Ubuntu Budgie sticker pack.

Rules

• Our Discourse now accepts larger images without resizing them, so this time around things will be fairly simple: Reply to this thread and upload your image(s).
  • if you want to submit lots of images - please use a publicly accessible dropbox or similar account; we will grab those images the share
  • Our target resolution is 3840 x 2160 (4K) - so please don’t submit images that are less than the target - don’t worry if it is more though!
  • If the wallpaper is NOT your own work we need the link to the original source together with the Authors name - the license for images that are not yours MUST be CC0 or CC-BY-SA 4.0

Timeline

• Ubuntu Budgie 24.04 wallpaper contest opens on January 21, 2024.
  • Ubuntu Budgie 24.04 wallpaper contest closes on March 14, 2024.
  • Announcements of wallpaper contest winners will be made on UI Freeze, the week of 21 March 2024.

Guidelines for desktop wallpaper images:

• If in doubt what images to submit - have a look at our 20.04 or 22.04 default wallpapers (packages budgie-wallpapers-focal, or budgie-wallpapers-jammy)
• Images shouldn’t be too busy and filled with too many shapes and colors, a similar tone throughout is a good rule of thumb.
• A single point of focus, a single area that draws the eye into the image, can also help you avoid something too cluttered.
• Try your image at different aspect ratios to make sure something important isn’t cropped out on smaller/ larger screens at different resolutions.
• No brand names or trademarks of any kind.
• No branding assets like ubuntu-budgie or text in order to permit use by derivative distributions.
• No version numbers as some may prefer to continue to use your theme with an older version of Ubuntu.
• No illustrations some may consider inappropriate, offensive, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libellous.
• No sexually explicit or provocative images.
• No images of weapons or violence.
• No alcohol, tobacco, or drug use imagery.
• No designs which promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against groups or individuals; or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
• No religious, political, or nationalist imagery.
• Use PNG & JPG formats

Licenses

All submissions must adhere to one of the following:

• Submissions must adhere to the Creative Commons ShareAlike 4.0 to be considered for use in ubuntu-budgie
• Submissions must adhere to the Creative Commons With Attribution License v3 or v4 to be considered for use in ubuntu-budgie
• Submissions can use the Creative Commons Zero Waiver (CC0) - the original author if its not you must be specified.

Also, submitting your wallpaper confirms to us you are willing to share your submission with with one of these licenses, have understood the license terms and that it is your work (or correctly attributed). If the license is not as specified above we will assume CC-BY-SA 4.0

Special thanks to @ulfnic for the wallpaper contest image

8 Likes

Since we had some really good experiences with converting my 35mm and 66mm film scans to really good wallpapers, I’d like to share some new images and hope you like some.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DQBbi4oaMKhdmtWHpvpc696JkI8c6pct

Ps: some of these images need some time to be loaded when opened on gthumb untill they become sharp. Resolution should be around 4400x3590.

2 Likes

Here’s the picture I’m most proud of: 2.73 MB file on MEGA

2 Likes

4 Likes

Gimp, Inkscape & Blender used for.
(with Ubuntu Studio 23.10) Creative Commons ShareAlike 4.0

petite variante

1 Like

Title: Break Free
License: CC-BY-SA 4.0
Made using Aesprite and GIMP

5 Likes

this is Mount Bargy, more precisely these are les yeux du Bargy, Bargy’s eyes. Mt. Bargy is a not-so-high mountain that (having eyes, maybe is better “who”???) stands right over a nice lake (Lac Bénit) close to Cluses, a small town in France (Savoie) - not so far from Mt. Blanc Tunnel - where we’ve been spending our vacancies time last summer.

Note: I don’t think (neither hope) to win the contest and to see Bergy’s eyes within Budgie 24.04 wallpapers but in case, please let’s give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s: the picture has been taken by my husband, so in case it would be nice having him referenced to him, not me :grin:

5 Likes

Hello, @SnootyInk , would you be able to upload your picture here on discourse directly? Thank you!

Yes of course, I’m sorry. Here it is:

5 Likes

Sunset in the Fields

This is my submission. Good luck everyone!

5 Likes

Title: Encoding nature
License: Creative Commons ShareAlike 4.0 (Panda image based from Here, under CC0)

In this case, I applied the Gestalt Law of Similarity, done in InkScape.

3 Likes

Thiruchhirapalli

2 Likes

Hello @ThePersian and thanks for your submission. Can you please submit this image in this resolution or above? Our target resolution is 3840 x 2160 (4K)

Hello @thetechdog , and thank you for your submission!
Could you please submit in this resolution or above? Our target resolution is 3840 x 2160 (4K)

Ah right, I forgot. Here, it isn’t exactly 4K 16:9 but should work

1 Like

Right, sorry. The image I had uploaded is 4K, but for some reason seems to have gotten downscaled during upload? Not sure what really happened, I’ll try uploading it again:

It still seems to have this problem, I have uploaded it to Google Drive: Sunset in the Fields.png - Google Drive

Hi all,

Wallpaper Contest is now closed.

Thank you all for your great submissions. :parrot: :heart: :parrot: The team will get to work on the selection process. It’s going to be a tough one with all the great submissions. We will update you all here the week after UI freeze. See original post for accurate timeline.

1 Like

The Ubuntu Budgie team would like to thank all participants of the wallpaper contest. Even with the brief notice, we are grateful for all the gorgeous entries.

:drum: :drum: :drum: And the winners are … :drum: :drum: :drum:

1. nblNmbt20240129 petite variante by @twopiradians
  2. 000010210007 by @sigisagi
  3. 000010250007 by @sigisagi
  4. 000016710008 by @sigisagi
  5. 000010240010 by @sigisagi

:clap: :clap: :clap: Let’s all celebrate the winners and the stunning wallpapers on our upcoming 24.04 Noble Numbat LTS release! :tada:

As you may have noticed, we only chose five images this time. Many wallpapers are going to be in sync with the upstream Budgie project. This was a deliberate decision to provide some familiarity to anyone using the Budgie desktop environment across different distributions.

1 Like