Ubuntu vs. Solus

I run Solus budgie on my desktop pc to my full satisfaction. I plan to install Ubuntu budgie on my laptop.
My question now is what actually is the big difference between the two distros? I know Solus is a rolling release and ubuntu 20.04 lts.
It’s more about what’s under the hood.
Such as memory consumption, CPU consumption, start-up time. …
Anyone experience this?
I also wonder if the upgrade from 20.04 to the point versions will happen automatically as well as the upgrade to the new lts version in the future?

Ah yes, I have used Solus myself. At a high-level, Solus is a tighter OS that probably runs a bit faster. It uses a different package manager than UB – which IMO, is a negative do to a smaller pool of applications.

What UB brings to the table is the enhanced ecosystem that Ubuntu uses along with a lot of applets. It’s also a more polished (IMO) system with lots of usability features.

YMMV

2 Likes

You will be automatically upgraded to 20.04.1 then 20.04.2 etc

( BUT you’ll stay with same kernel UNLESS you manually activate HWE-kernel )* Available as off .2 release, then each point release will bring a newer kernel and newer graphical stack.

With default update manager settings, an LTS version will only prompt you to upgrade to a newer LTS version ( 22.04 ) and not to the « intermediate » shorter support version ( 20.10, 21.04, 21.10 ).

You may change these settings launching software-properties-gtk, in this tab :

*no way to strike text here ?

2 Likes

My understanding this time around desktop users will be automatically upgraded … I.e. no manual intervention. Only the cloud version of ubuntu and other non desktop versions of ubuntu will automatically stay on the existing release kernel.

Obviously things can change - so watch this space … and the new kernel (and graphics stack) will be delivered in a normal update next February at 20.04.2 and will be the 20.10 kernel.

1 Like

Aww my bad I was not aware of that new planning regarding HWE. It used to be like that regarding kernel for LTS.

Yep… it’s a new thing for LTS this time around. I suppose Canonical have had lots of experience of these HWE uplifts since they have been doing these for a number of LTSs now. Much more confidence in their kernel and graphics stack devs.

From my view point its freedom. You have the choice of installing from a wide range of software without devs imposing their viewpoint of what’s allowed or not allowed in their repository due to age of last update, how it has been developed with any specific technology etc.

So for example, everything we have developed for the budgie desktop is accessible for both Debian and Ubuntu users … it’s your choice whether to use or not … not the distro archive admins who say yay or nay.

I tried to use Solus, but there was something regarding the size of the UEFI partition. Doesn’t Solus require kernel there? I’m unsure, but whatever it was I didn’t like and I needed to re3configure my whole partition scheme.

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled --no-pager:My Ubuntu-budgie shows 66 files listed. What does Solus show?

here my solus shows 6 unit files listed

I currently run both and I really like the applet selection on U-Budgie. I chose Solus for my laptop because I’d had enough of dual booting two computers and wanted a rolling release because I use it for recording music.

I like the Ubuntu repository and have had to use more snap and flatpak applications then I would like with Solus. Having run Ubuntu for many years I do enjoy testing, running , and seeing the new features for each release .

I tested Ubuntu Budgie first, and then of course decided to go check out other distros with Budgie, sort of expecting it would be more polished on Solus. In my opinion that is not the case. I think you will be very impressed with what the Ubuntu Budgie team has done. Give it a try.